Adult female Iris Oratoria

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas

Reaction score
unknown.png

Here she is. You guys have any opinions on this species? I almost never see anyone talk about them! She's so sweet. 

I have never heard of this species before. she looks like a hierodula membranacea. But she has different wings, they are short. Wondering how the males wings looks like.

But she looks beautiful and a sweet character is nice :) (except for her prey?)

I have never heard of this species before. she looks like a hierodula membranacea. But she has different wings, they are short. Wondering how the males wings looks like.

But she looks beautiful and a sweet character is nice :) (except for her prey?)
Males have full length wings strangely enough. Yeah, they look a bit like Heirodulas aside from being way smaller! 

I was looking for pics of this species and saw their threat pose looks cool with the colors on the wings:

00qkzm-69469584.jpg

Beautiful species, and she’s a very pretty mantis. It is interesting that this species doesn’t get talked about very much here, considering it’s a native species. But I guess the same is true for the grass and bark mantids.

When I first got into mantiskeeping, I was pretty excited to learn there was a North American species that had similar displays to the peacock mantis. I’ve never seen one where I live, but supposedly they exist here.

Congratulations on her adult molt, though! She’s gorgeous.

This is my favorite species.  Some of the adult females actually become so domesticated, that they will know you from someone else.  They are like uncuddly kitty cats. I had many last year and this year none of the ooths hatched.  I tried to leave the ooths outside, but our winter was harsh.  

I am so sad.  Do you have any left?

This topic was from a while ago and I haven't seen @Nicolas on the Forum lately. If they are wild where you live, why don't you go and look for some? You can always ask in the For Sale/Wanted section.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts