We have Parasphendale agrionina hatchlings! (baby Budwings!)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantidmomma

Reaction score
We had out ooth hatch yesterday!  They are beautiful!  These are our first Budwings so we had done tons of reading up on them. They were in my sons room which is the warmest room in the house. I had planned to separate all of them this weekend.....but they had other plans.

I was headed to bed at around 2 a.m. and I checked on all of the critters just as I always do. I looked at the hacthlings and thought....awwww, they are all sleeping. Ummmm, WHAT?!?!? So I glanced at the hygometer and had a sickening feeling. It was 39%!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :(   I spent the next 5 hours trying to salvage babies that were literally barely moving.  I'll be truthful, I was crying.  And wanted to kick my own butt!  As of 7 a.m. this morning, I had saved 121 and thought I had lost 139. But when I got up at 8, I was able to save another 57. I had taken the ones I thought would not make it and put them in a container with high humidity. It wasn't enough to bring them all back. But I am so grateful it saved quite a few more!

I am so excited to watch these beauties as they grow!!!

Parasphendale agrionina...AKA Budwing.jpg

A lot better result than the ooth I bought recently, out of which only 1 little nymph actually hatched...

It's doing just fine so far (fat on fruit flies), but does mean I'll have to find at least a mate eventually...been holding onto the ooth just in case but it's been almost a week so I don't think I'll get anything further.

:)  I am glad he is pigging out on fruit flies! He must be cute.

- MantisGirl13

Our grand total of our budwing nymphs was 327!!!  Sadly, 41 of them either did not make it, or are not doing well. The others are doing great! They are vicious little hunters right from the start!  :)

It is!!!  We also have about 130 Indian barks that are L2-L5!  

It really has't been too difficult. The barks were my first ooth hatchlings and their care is more critical in the beginning. Their little containers can not be bumped. high humidity, and they are FAST as lightning!!!  After starting with them.....the budwings and ghosts seem easy!  LOL!

Oh, wow! You really do have a ton of nymphs! The Indian Barks sound like fun!

- MantisGirl13

Think my husband won't allow me to go that far in the mantid hobby I think :p . with so many nymphs you need a really big room for them to live.

LOL!  I have a 3 story house now.  :)   I am giving them their own room once I can get a system in there that ups the moisture in the summer. That is more tedious for me than feeding them all.  
Wow! I wish I could do that! I have half of my bedroom and my entire closet dedicated to my mantids, but that is all of the space I have for now!

- MantisGirl13

Curious, just so I can make sure I'm covering bases: what conditions did you incubate the agrionina ooth in? I just received the female that laid the ooths, and if she lays another I want to ensure the best shot at getting it to hatch well.

Latest posts