Terrarium Cleanup Crew?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrenMT

Reaction score
So I've fed mealworms to my mantis and a few times I've dropped them because they're so hard and squirmy. As soon as I try to get them the little buggers have already burrowed and since I have quite deep substrate I'd never get them back.

Anyway I've been feeding the mantis for about two weeks and whenever he's had enough and drops whatever remains he has of his meal I've seen mature darkling beetles demolish the cadaver and then scoot underground.

Now normally I would be worried but I've observed for a long time and the beetles never climb the wood to bother the mantis and at the highest point of the enclosure they'll never reach because they can't climb glass and it got me wondering; would this make an efficient cleanup crew? I have real plants in the tank so I'm sure that they might benefit from the breakdown of the food and I'll still clean up the remains that aren't being eaten. What's everyone's opinion?

I am using three Blue Death Feigning Beetles with my  five violins mantis in one tank for my cleanup crew. Most of my violins are sub adults and get along with each other for the most part. I did not expect my wandering violins to get so big. The Wandering Violins has one of the best reaction time in catching flies. Most of my violins repeatedly able to catch BB flies flying full speed in flight with one in each arm. Not a problem with these guys.

Since my Wandering Violins loves desert heat and dryness which makes it idea environment for the Blue Death Feigning Beetles. The beetles loves spinach, flake fish food, flies body parts leftovers and poo. The beetles can be easily handled and they are kids friendly as well.   Here is a epic into to the Blue Death Feigning Beetles!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blue Death Feigning beetle is capable of living in Death Valley, California meaning that it has to be hardy.

There is also Black Death Feigning Beetles which likes a bit more humidity than the blues and the Smooth Death Feigning Beetles. All three can live communal together like a multicultural society. My blues are like janitors in school and will see quite a few generations of mantis.

Here is a plain video from a kid of the Blue Death Feigning beetle care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had any issues with mealworm beetles bothering healthy mantises. More often then not they get snacked on by the mantis. The only problems I've had is if a mantis falls when molting you have even less time to realize and save them as the beetles are on that instantly. They also will eat your mantises when they die which might be an issue if you ever want to pin them after they've lived a long healthy life.

Personally I prefer pill bugs as janitors cause they are cuter and less ravenous.

P.S. Those blue beetles are so darn cool!

Latest posts