Pseudoacanthops care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausar318

Reaction score
By way of bartering, I was able to get a pregnant female pseudoacanthops from a new friend of mine. I’ve asked him lots of questions (and will continue to), but I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone else can help me  

To begin, I recently got a pseudoacanthops. I probably should have done more research, but I’ve always wanted one, and the opportunity to get one presented itself, so I took it.

The dilemna I’m now faced with, is that I know almost nothing about this species, and there is virtually no information anywhere on the internet about them, save for a few pictures here and there. I don’t even know what part of the world they come from (Costa rica, I think ?)

Anyway, like I said, she is pregnant, and due to lay an ooth any time. As such, I will eventually have a bunch of super rare, mysterious nymphs to care for. Does anyone know anything about this species, pertaining to care?

Heres a picture of her. She’s just a little thing, but she’s amazingly beautiful and stunning:

6EED3B9E-4629-4135-89B9-599C306A786E_zpshsburjqy.jpeg

Unfortunately, I know nothing about this species, but she looks beautiful! I hope that someone can help you. Was she mated?

- MantisGirl13

@mantisgirl13

yes, she was mated twice, so she will lay fertile ooths (which makes me really excited ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
:)  Cool!!!! Keep her fat, and keep me updated on when she lays!

- MantisGirl13

She is beautiful and nice she will give you fertile ooths. I have never heard of this species. Treat her like you treat your other mandtids.

Keep us updated on ooth laying :)

'Treat her like you treat your other mantids.' is a sentence I really hoped I'd never see lmao

Pseudacanthops are native to South America, mostly Peru. They require very high humidity , good ventilation and a temperature of around 24-28C in day, and 20-23 at night. This genus is part of Acanthopidae, which is rumored to only lay fertile ooths. If the mantis is not mated, they won't lay ootheca. This is a hypothesis though, although my tests have proven it to be true so far. 

I really wish people would research more. Pseudacanthops are not common, and hard to get hold of for most people. Receiving a mantis without even knowing it's native country is pretty lack luster. You seem to have done well though. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your help. The instructions you gave are pretty close to what I’m following. I keep her at about 27C, and I mist her enclosure at least twice a day. The humidity hovers around 75-85%. 

Please do not misunderstand, I tried to research them. The issue is that I was unable to find any good, reliable information on them. And beyond that, caresheets often aren’t the best things to refer to, and so I made the post to see if anyone had any experiential knowledge about them. She was sort of a rescue, anyway. The person I got her from was moving away from keeping this species, so he just wanted to get rid of her. I’ve always admired this species, so I took her. 

Shes doing really well, and eating everything I give her. Here’s a couple pictures of her:

D5CA42F9-81B6-472F-979A-29FE9A90C3BB_zpsurbmqayq.jpeg

F6C5610A-4CA7-4243-B3B2-45F6EBAF394F_zpsniys5fqo.jpeg

Yeah she looks to be doing fine. It’s tricky to get Pseudacanthops to eat when they’re not in ideal conditions. However I wouldn’t let humidity drop below 80. Mine are at 80-90, and 99% at night. 

Lovely images.

That is pretty high. I like keeping it around 85 for her, as much as possible. So far she hasn’t been hesitant with her food. She’s eating a little Dubia in the bottom picture, which she eagerly took from by hand as soon as she saw it. 

They really are an amazingly beautiful species