Things we do for love. ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you can probably relate... here are my officially designated feeder storage shelves. Anything to keep the spouse happy. ?

Fruit fly storage in the art supply cabinet - Humidity meter in one door. Mini magnets were used to hold panels in place. 

20180917_180801_zpsagzn1rzd.jpg

Blue bottle fly storage.

20180917_180830_zpssd8iqou0.jpg

Most friends who look in the mini fridge assume the bag contains a stool specimen and don't bother asking. ?

My designated "bug corner" displays most of what I consider my "personal specimens".

Subterfuge is necessary to hide all of my other specimens. ?

20180815_145046_zpsqv1svcpl.jpg

LOL... notice my home page?

It would be interesting to see the work/storage areas of other forum members. I know we're not all single.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahhaha, The cabinet and box with "biohazard" on it. I love the idea. My hubby didn't like the idea of getting pests (feeder insects) in the house or the fridge.  Maybe I should put "bioharzard" on it too. :p

Lol :)  That is funny. My parents make me keep everything in my bedroom, which I am ok with, but they let my brothers' Chinese mantis roam around the living room!?! I get scolded by my dad for having fly pupae in the fridge, and he was furious when I first got roaches!

- MantisGirl13

I have to keep the roaches in a cupboard in the laundry room since my husband has commanded he shall never ever ever see them. He´s pretty fine with the rest of the insects scattered around our small house. There are complaints about my taking a freezer drawer for tiny corpses (for later pinning) and freezing questionably safe material (roach/locust substrate that might have babies or eggs I missed) before disposal. He's lucky I can't get BB pupa or I'd be invading the fridge too!

Maybe I should buy him some bio-hazard stickers for Christmas hehe

;)  It is funny how so many people think 'Girls hate insects' but it can be the boys who are disgusted by them!

- MantisGirl13

;)  It is funny how so many people think 'Girls hate insects' but it can be the boys who are disgusted by them!

- MantisGirl13
Completely true. But to be fair to my husband he´s Icelandic. Iceland has seriously no insects nearly at all (boring!) so 99% of Icelanders just have no idea how to handle insects of any kind especially ones as large as mantises or roaches.

Seriously though, you turn over a rock here and you might be lucky to find a worm. No dragonflies, no grasshoppers, no pillbugs, no butterflies, and like 3 species of tiny moth. All kids can catch here is garden snails.... what a sad sad childhood :p

Completely true. But to be fair to my husband he´s Icelandic. Iceland has seriously no insects nearly at all (boring!) so 99% of Icelanders just have no idea how to handle insects of any kind especially ones as large as mantises or roaches.

Seriously though, you turn over a rock here and you might be lucky to find a worm. No dragonflies, no grasshoppers, no pillbugs, no butterflies, and like 3 species of tiny moth. All kids can catch here is garden snails.... what a sad sad childhood :p
;)  Yeah it is sad that you have almost no insects there! 

I was also talking about my dad; he hates roaches, fruit flies, house and bottle flies, crickets, etc. Basically anything that can be used for mantis food. It is really annoying, but my mom is fine with it, so she helps me persuade him. He is fascinated with my mantids, though! 

I always find it weird when I take my mantids to my youth group to show the other teens. The girls are cautiously interested, but the boys are completely disgusted!

- MantisGirl13

yeah, My husband refuses to handle one of my mantids . He says even those are pests (they are not)or complaining about fly pupea in the fridge  Think that was a step to far lol. He is not a fan of roaches either but he never sees those.

I always find it weird when I take my mantids to my youth group to show the other teens. The girls are cautiously interested, but the boys are completely disgusted! 
Girls are indeed more intrested in mantids than the boys. I like to talk about mantis keeping and showing my mantis. Ppl must know a mantis is a beautiful insect to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
;)  Yeah, girls see them as beautiful creatures (most of the time) and boy see them as 'cool bugs' (unless you are in the mantis hobby)

- MantisGirl13