Rescued Mantis, a few questions from beginner!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burmeister

Reaction score
Hi there 

This is Twiggy (or her other name my daughter calls her Chop Suey). My husband found her outside a couple weeks ago, she was very skinny and barely moving. We’ve never owned a Mantis before but felt compelled to try and save this interesting little creature. I’ve been hand feeding her store bought crickets and husband has been offering her the odd moth and leather jacket from outside. She’s rarely refused a meal when I offer it on the tweezers. The first pic is her laying face down in the donught box that hubby brought her home in, the other pics are how she currently looks today.

I’d like to know what kind she is, if she is in fact a she, how old she may be and if any molts may be coming. Thank you in advance for any help / advice ?

073985A6-E0A1-4DF9-85CE-5D31A81A7AA2.jpeg

BE6EC266-65E0-4FDC-8D7D-97C91998AF78.jpeg

AE1D8F20-9202-4098-A33D-4991D0172634.jpeg

05008491-4972-4A25-A835-4BB67D08C594.jpeg

67768E1D-EE8E-4C58-B2FA-A160CCB37C52.jpeg

F220D387-18B3-4695-983E-C7E20AB89C1F.jpeg

C473A2AF-7CB5-4345-AB07-44523B3BDA87.jpeg

You have an adult female European mantis. She will not be molting anymore because she is adult and adults do not grow. You have a beautiful habitat, and you can expect to have your little guest for a month or two more. Keep feeding her like you have been, and mist her a couple times a week with fresh water. 

- MantisGirl13

Oh thanks so much for identifying her :)

Im really sad to hear she won’t be with us for long :(  She’s such an interesting little creature and we’re really fond of her. Oh for sure we will be getting another !  

Twiggy is beautiful and you made a nice home for her. It is sad it will be only 1 or 2 month life for her. but it will be a good time for her.

She’s such an interesting little creature and we’re really fond of her. Oh for sure we will be getting another !  
Yeah, it is cool to see a mantis grow up. And every mantis has it own character like humans and animals. That it what I see with my mantids.

Oh thanks so much for identifying her :)

Im really sad to hear she won’t be with us for long :(  She’s such an interesting little creature and we’re really fond of her. Oh for sure we will be getting another !  
Sure, no problem! Mantids don't live super long anyway, but you can have them for a while if you get them as nymphs. You should get into exotic mantids!

- MantisGirl13

Yes, odds are good she's mated, but she will lay eggsacs whether she's been fertilized or not. Also its possible to attract a mate sometimes, depending on where you keep her. Sometimes a male will come looking for her from her scent/phermones. 

Lastly although many mantids only live a while after adulthood, I've heard of the odd wildcaught mantid living happily until next spring. So its possible your twig will be with you for a short or a long time. 

One more thing, if you get viable eggsacks/oothecae you can pop them in the fridge till you are ready to them hatch in spring. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts