Color morphs in Leaf mimicking species?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
With many species of mantis, there are a great number of ways that their colors, patterns, even shading can come out.  That's one of the joys of keeping them for me, but I was wondering in your experience, are their color/ pattern morphs in leaf mimicking species.  Mostly talking leaf and not dead leaf. 

I get that the idea of a leaf mimicking mantis is to mimic a leaf and they are green, but what about "sun spots" or "burn spots" or anything really.  Are there really any color morphs for true leaf mimicking species?  Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Preface: I have no experience.

I would imagine that there would be many variations (phases) in the wild.  Specifically with groups from different locations (Panther Chameleons come to mind.  All are from Madagascar but color is based on where they are from.).  As it is a camouflage trait, I would think they would evolve to their environment. 

Now, what is available in the captive bred environment?  You would have to go back to their source(s).

I don’t have any experience with leaf mantises, but I have seen pictures of some with burn spots/dead spots.

7_C713_CAE-6_AEC-4_A23-_A6_B8-80847584_B90_C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts