The Next Big Step...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausar318

Reaction score
Hey all, just thought I’d give an update on my current state of affairs ?

First of all, YAY! I just became a Forum supporter, meaning I am now helping to keep this site up and running. I would suggest to everyone to becoming a Forum supporter. It’s only $14.99 for the first year, and then apparently $12.99 after that. Seriously folks, you can’t even hardly buy a pizza for that kind of money. And unlike a pizza, being a Forum supporter is a long term thing, and you’re helping to keep the best mantis resource open and available to everyone! 

Next, for those of you who might have noticed, I have changed my profile pick to my (future) business. Although my image might have changed, I am still the same great guy, willing to help anyone in any way I can. I’m always up for a good chat, too, so send me a PM if you just want to swap stories and stuff like that. I might not have as much experience as some of the people on this forum, but I definitely have an unquenchable passion for mantids. 

I thought I’d also give a bit of a rundown on my mantis collection as well. In the past month, I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on new species (I’m not kidding, I literally have counted up every purchase, and I’m quite a bit in the red ?). However, I’m hoping to have plenty of mantids to offer in the next few months. 

So starting with my live collection. Here is what I currently have in my possession/on its way to me:

- 3 Orchids, two males one female (all subadults)

- 5 Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, two males, three females (presub, I think)

- A pregnant (fertile!) Pseudoacanthops 

- 5 Ghosts, four females and one male (yikes!) 

- A couple Desert mantids (Eremiaphila sp.). I’m really excited about these, I’ve wanted some for a long time!

- A few Ceratomantis saussurii (Which I’ve also always really liked!)

I think that’s all the live ones I have, now for the ooths:

- 2 Orchid ooths

- 1 Panther mantis ooth

- 2 Creobroter ooths

- 1 Brunner’s mantis ooth (US native)

- 1 Thesprotia graminis ooth (US native)

And also unlimited Chinese ooths, in the field next to my house. And also some H. Venosa ooths/nymphs which I am getting from my good friend Mark, who I met on this forum (over the topic of Dubia roaches).

Overall, I am going to be neck deep in things to do, with all my current mantids. And don’t even get me started on what I’m going to do once I start having ooths hatch. Long story short (unless your Mark, who has to read my 1000 word messages ?), I’m going to be wheelin’ and dealin’ as soon as I get some ooth hatches. I joined this hobby because I love mantids, not because I want to make tons of money. I just want more people to be a part of the hobby, since mantids are so frickin’ awesome!!!

Anyway, I am putting together a species waitlist, so if you want to be notified when I get a specific species available, you can just send me a PM with your email and what species you are waiting for. Not sure if it is going to work/be organized, but I figured I’d give it a shot!

Anyway, I’m really excited to be taking this next step in the hobby, so I thought I’d share my excitement with all you guys and gals, so you can rejoice with me ?

My hope is that I’ll eventually become one of “The Greats” in the mantis hobby. I want people 50 years from not to look back and say: “Do you remember Ian? I sure do miss him.” (lol, just kidding. I’m probably still going to be doing it until the day I die). 

Anyway, that enough ranting for today!

Ian

I'm anxious to see your wait list! Thanks so much for your recent help... I really appreciate it. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. ?

Wow, that is great, Ian! I want to do the same thing someday, when I can get my hands on more species. I am sure a lot of us on the forum have spent hundreds of dollars on mantids and feeder insects (I know I have!) When I joined the forum, I did not know how much I was in for! I now am keeping 9 or 10 species, and I originally had two! 

- MantisGirl13

I think mantis keeping is not a big thing like it is in the US. because of the forum i tried different species already.

lot of us on the forum have spent hundreds of dollars on mantids and feeder insects
I dont know yet if I have spend hundred of euros on those things, but it is a lot. a hobby eats money :p But it is worth it. I need to build a mantis family again since I lost mine in the summer.

Wow, super cool! Sounds like you are gonna be one busy guy ?? 

I also feel the sting in the wallet for all my mantids, as I just got into Orchids recently. @ausar318 Did you breed the Orchid ooth yourself or buy it?