Ooth diapause setup

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsdelliott

Reaction score
Hello mantis mothers and fathers,

I just recieved two ooth from @Prayingmantisqueen and i want to put them in my refrigerator until december. Just wanted to show you my set up and make sure this is an appropriate way to keep them to give the best chance of a successful hatch. I placed damp paper on the bottom, then a layer of dry paper to rest the ooth on. Covered it with plastic wrap and cut large holes in it for air.

Anything I could do better? 

20181022_203606.jpg

That would work well for a diapause container but not a hatching container.

- MantisGirl13

Looks good! I hope they hatch well for you since they are wild caught, I am going to be hatching some of the ones I found outside along with the ones I sent you! 

Nice set-up.  I'd probably remove/replace your damp paper towel every 3 weeks or so.  It won't grow mold too quickly in a refrigerator...but it will eventually if you don't change it.  Especially with the plastic over the top.  If you see the paper towel turning any color on the edges (brown or black), I'd replace immediately. 

Okay so the moister kinda "whicked" through the paper towels and the part of the ooth touching the paper got soggy :(

I changed the paper towel out and limited the moister. I hope that helps but I'm kinda worried.

Okay so the moister kinda "whicked" through the paper towels and the part of the ooth touching the paper got soggy :(

I changed the paper towel out and limited the moister. I hope that helps but I'm kinda worried.
You shouldn't keep the paper towels very moist at all. I hope the ooth is ok!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts