Monarchs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsterrarium

Reaction score
Hey there guys. I have a question regarding wild mantises. Come spring or early summer I'd like to hatch some mantises to release into the our garden since the nymphs should control gnats and mosquitoes and the adults should destroy all manner of flies and also moths which freak me the heck out when they get in the house (hard to explain.) Anyway the Carolina species has been recommended to me to release and I wouldn't mind keeping a couple to raise anyway. My question is will the adults attack and eat monarchs? I know monarchs have a nasty taste to most predators but I've heard some mantises still eat them. As they are undergoing a decline in some areas I don't want to threaten them and I want to help monarchs visiting our garden as much as possible. My neighbor even grows milkweed for them and they successfully lay eggs on them. Do you think the mantises will be a problem for them? If so is there any way to minimize hostile contact? It's certainly a huge meal for an average sized mantis so maybe they would settle for smaller.

@Allthingsterrarium

Yes, mantises can be very harmful to any other insect they see. I've seen them eating mice before. If you want to have monarchs flying around your garden DO NOT PUT MANTISES THERE!

The mantids are not afraid of anything they see so I recommend not hatching any oothecae outside. If you still want to hatch mantises do it inside, and keep them as pets!

Good Luck,

@Mantid Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad to hear that you will be releasing Carolinas and not the Chinese Species! 

Because mantids are not particular to what they will hunt, it is very likely that they will prey on the the Monarchs if they have the chance. Even though the Carolina mantis is a smaller species, they won’t hesitate with a butterfly. I notice their hunting instinct really gets in gear when they hunt flying prey.

Just like we mantis keepers can be very protective over our mantids, I’m sure butterfly enthusiasts are the same way, so they might not appreciate a mantis in their field. I don’t know what your relationship is with your neighbor, but you could maybe talk with them and see how they feel about. I’m assuming you get mantids naturally in your area and you can’t stop every mantis from eating a butterfly ya know, so they might get not mind. 

Part of me feels that you should release them anyway because the chances of all of them surviving are very low. It is not unlikely that out of 60 babies only 5-8 make it to adulthood, really depends on what their surroundings are.  They are great pest controllers, but they are also very susceptible to predation from other organisms when they are smaller. You would have to just keep and eye out and if you can see their milkweeds from your house, you can help monitor them. Just my thoughts, good luck!

Thanks guys! If that's the case I may or may not go through with it, a little less likely now but fortunately there's a fence between our two yards and plenty of hiding places in our own yard so they might find it easier just to stay. I figure now that if I do end up doing it I'll raise a few of them, let my frogs and growing collared lizard eat a bunch and  then just release a little than half the remaining number into the yard. With all of the sparrows, starlings, spiders and American toads around here I'm sure most of the nymphs would be picked off before they got too big and the robins and grackles would likely keep the adults from reaching threatening proportions for the monarchs. Besides, our neighborhood always seems to get an agreeable number of monarchs so a tiny few mantises chowing down on abundant moths, crickets and flies shouldn't pester them that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also grow milkweeds for monarchs in a flower garden. (and I raise some of the caterpillars).  Personally, I'd release the Carolinas.  Two thoughts.  First... the majority of the monarch breeding season (starting in late may) happens before any mantises (Either species) are even big enough to tackle a butterfly.  There were at least 3 or 4 generations of monarchs on my milkweeds before mantises were big enough.  Second...Carolinas...though aggressive... are probably not going to eat many monarchs due to size difference. Adult females will take a shot at it.  It happens I'm sure. But the number they'd actually eat is small.  Especially with other available prey species and habitat. I'd be a lot less worried about them then the adult female Chinese.  So between the limited time window of opportunity, and size difference...I'd say the pros of Carolina and Monarch cohabitation outweigh the cons. That's just me though.  ? 

Good on you for releasing a native. 

I don't think you will notice any reduction in the other insects however. 
Thanks Rick! Yeah I do like the Chinese mantis as much as any other species but I don't want to release a ravenous killing machine the native insects aren't used too :)

I also grow milkweeds for monarchs in a flower garden. (and I raise some of the caterpillars).  Personally, I'd release the Carolinas.  Two thoughts.  First... the majority of the monarch breeding season (starting in late may) happens before any mantises (Either species) are even big enough to tackle a butterfly.  There were at least 3 or 4 generations of monarchs on my milkweeds before mantises were big enough.  Second...Carolinas...though aggressive... are probably not going to eat many monarchs due to size difference. Adult females will take a shot at it.  It happens I'm sure. But the number they'd actually eat is small.  Especially with other available prey species and habitat. I'd be a lot less worried about them then the adult female Chinese.  So between the limited time window of opportunity, and size difference...I'd say the pros of Carolina and Monarch cohabitation outweigh the cons. That's just me though.  ? 
Thanks a bunch Bugboymark! That is extremely promising and it makes me feel much better about the original plan if I time it right! And I won't even release the entire batch of hatchlings. The adults I hope will simply just gorge themselves on moths and junebugs and the like and a mosquito and fly reduction from the nymphs and juveniles will be a welcome relief.  

Latest posts