female or male orchid mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelaael

Reaction score
hello all

i got an orchid mantis last friday. that evening he/she molted which was a surprised for me. i know you can count the segments to find out if male or female but its still small. its 1.5 cm long and now its gone all white too it did have a hint of pink too.

the collar tells to brown/red = male or green = female.  the petals on legs too . so then does the collar begin to shown better sign of colours? 

thanks for you help

The collars are very clear as of L4. Before that, they can be hard to tell; like a combination of 2 colors, pinkish brown or pinkish green, which can be confusing. The longer after a molt, the more clear the collars become. 

Do you know what instar your Orchid was supposed to be?

If you upload a picture, we may be able to help. 

Also, you might get more replies if you post in the Breeding and Nymph care section.

- MantisGirl13

Hey again I took a photo for the mantis. Hope it helps with sexing 

IMG_20181025_193823780.jpg

Yes, a close photo from an angle when we can see the abdomen, collar, as well as the leg petals. I'll need to see close shots of all 3 to help you more.

It looks cute sitting on the flowers, though!

Hey again

I hope this image is better to help out. Sorry it's upside down lol only way get photo of the little mantis

IMG_20181026_083705828.jpg

hey

thank you for help. i was wondering about the petals shapes on the legs has i heard broader= female and slender= male.

but i will wait to see more after next molt and i will post another image of the little one and see and ask for more help

I would actually say that is a female. I count only 5 abdominal segments, the color of the collar is brownish green (which I have found to be a female in my experience), and the leg petals look more round and large. 

I would vote female and treat her as such until L4, when you will find out for sure

This is why I needed to see all 3 to help sex your nymph and also why nymphs are known to be hard to sex before L4. 

Here is an infographic I found online that sums up how to sex Orchids. Not my photo

It is easier to tell them apart when you have a male and female side by side to compare the appearance. I would say, based on my limited experience with my own Orchids, that this nymph is a potential female. 

ah thank you very much for the information. i will wait and see after the molt. i will put an image up too 

again thank you

hello again 

i think she/ he is beginning to molt. :)   due to that at beginning week she/he didn't eat the flies. swiping at the flies and catapulting one with its abdomen lol. so tomorrow i will take a photo of the little one. i will post and see finally if its a boy or a girl.

thank you for help 

Latest posts