Your favorite species?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
Here's a multi part question for you! What is your favorite couple of mantis species and why and then what was your favorite species to own and why? I'm just curious! Do whatever part of the question you feel like! 

Since I'm super big on color and mimicry a big favorite is the orchid mantis. That is a camouflage like no other. Another favorite is the ghost mantis because of the huge array of colors they can be and the wing pattern, just stunning. From a beautiful green to a deep rich beautiful brown!

I haven't owned a huge number of Mantids, but my favorite now is no doubt the Hierodula majuscula (giant rainforest mantis). It is just a powerhouse of a mantis. It doesn't back down from many prey items and it's beautiful and stocky and just a great species! Can't wait to read yours!

Here's a multi part question for you! What is your favorite couple of mantis species and why and then what was your favorite species to own and why? I'm just curious! Do whatever part of the question you feel like! 

Since I'm super big on color and mimicry a big favorite is the orchid mantis. That is a camouflage like no other. Another favorite is the ghost mantis because of the huge array of colors they can be and the wing pattern, just stunning. From a beautiful green to a deep rich beautiful brown!

I haven't owned a huge number of Mantids, but my favorite now is no doubt the Hierodula majuscula (giant rainforest mantis). It is just a powerhouse of a mantis. It doesn't back down from many prey items and it's beautiful and stocky and just a great species! Can't wait to read yours!
I've only owned idolo, ghost, peacock, and giant rainforest. Out of those, I agree with your favorite being the giant rainforest. His personality is much more outgoing than the others. The ghosts are a close second though. 

Well....

I havent kept alot but when I saw and held a tiny ghost I fell in love!

And I also love all my mantids and cant wait to get a H. Venosa!

I'm still in search of my favorite species, but so far I'll have to say Chinese & Hierodula females. That may change as I experience more species. I've taken a liking to Creobroters lately and Dead Leafs. There are so many species I'd like to raise, so my wishlist is extensive. I get my first batch of Ghosts this week... just in time for Halloween. ?

Hierodula majuscula was the first exotic species I wanted, but my order was never fulfilled by the breeder, so I missed out. If not for Sarah K. at Panterra I would have probably not gotten as involved in the hobby. Now I have a fairly large collection, but my first Chinese will probably always be remembered as my favorite. ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't raised too many species, but my favorites are Orchids. They are beautiful, almost always hungry, and have a piercing way of gazing right at my soul that makes me feel like we have a deep connection, hahaha ??

Ghosts are a close second, with their fun personalities and dancing. 

I'm always considering getting into spiny flowers, but I think I'd be just as happy to get even more Orchids!!!

I like ghosts and orchids too. I have both, but my orchids are L1, so I have only seen their colors, not most of their personality. I am on my 2nd generation of ghosts, and they are awesome! I love their colors and personalities.

- MantisGirl13

My favorite mantis species is Metallyticus splendidus due to their iridescent coloration. I once had Pseudocreobotra ocellata, and that is my favorite one I have owned. 

My favorite mantis species is Metallyticus splendidus due to their iridescent coloration. I once had Pseudocreobotra ocellata, and that is my favorite one I have owned. 
I have always wanted this species but I don't have a way to get them! 

- MantisGirl13

Whatever catches my eye tends to be the new favorite (particularly would love to keep Ermiaphila, Idolomantis, and Metallyticus, but I have no place with proper conditions for them), but among those I've kept fav is currently without question the ghosts. Easy, amusing, the funkiest shapes...

Lets think what my favo species is. I have had few by now. I loved/love them all. They were/are special in their own way. I think my first mantis will be most special: Chochise my H. membranacea. She did stuff like I never see in my other mantids. And aurene, a H. membranacea too, never does.

Hahah can't choose one of them. :p

Latest posts