heat packs for winter shipping

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristalochia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What are your experiences shipping mantids in low temps are. Im going to send some out with insulation and a heat pack with overnight shipping. Its not severely cold yet but freezing is still a risk. I've never shipped mantids in the cold though I've read many folks in USA ship all winter long with the right packaging. Ive also read that heatpacks can dry out and overheat mantids in the mail so I wonder..Do I need heat packs, or just good insulation? If have recieved or sent mantids successfully in freezing or lower temperatures please let me know how it went.

Also, does anyone know a cheap source for those nice 72hr heatpacks? Those would be great to use for to ensure safety, especially since overnight shipping here is very expensive.

Thank you

Hi! I don't know if this company ships to Canada, but try googling Pangea Reptile. I get my heat packs from them. If it is lower than 45* F, then I would definitely use heat packs to ensure that your mantids arrive safely. I would line the inside of the box with a few layers of newspaper for insulation. 

- MantisGirl13

@MantisGirl13 should one perforate the box and layers of newspaper for airflow to the heat pack? Or is it the kind of thing that only needs air initially as a catalyst to start the heat, and then it doesn't matter? Should the cups containing the nymphs come into direct contact with the pack, or should some separation be maintained? This info might come in handy one day. :D

@MantisGirl13 should one perforate the box and layers of newspaper for airflow to the heat pack? Or is it the kind of thing that only needs air initially as a catalyst to start the heat, and then it doesn't matter? Should the cups containing the nymphs come into direct contact with the pack, or should some separation be maintained? This info might come in handy one day. :D
Yes, in answer to your first question, that should be fine, but you may want to add a layer of foam or foil to the inside of a box for very cold shipping. If you shake the heat pack it will activate in a few minutes to half an hour. The cups do not have to be in contact with the heat pack, but the closer they are to it, the warmer they get. If you insulate the box they do not need to be in contact with the heat pack because then the heat will spread throughout the box.

- MantisGirl13

Yes, one heat pack will be fine for a small, insulated box. If you line the sides of the box with foam or a few layers of newspaper that will be enough insulation.

- MantisGirl13