Identifying my "stick mantis" nymph

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezie

Reaction score
I recently bought a new nymph at the pet store, and I believe it was mislabeled. On the container it says East African Twig Mantis. As far as I can tell, that's not an actual species. There is an African Twig Mantis, but the nymphs look shorter and stouter. Under the name, it says Neodanuria sp. This might be correct? But it's not the same thing as a twig mantis. Can anyone tell the species of my mantis? I don't know the age, but I'm thinking L2 or L3, about 1.5 inches long and very thin. I think it might be female, but I'm having a hard time telling that as well.

stickmantis.jpg

stickmantis2.jpg

@Weezie I googled it and it is a Neodanuria sp. If it is 1.5 inches, I would guess it is L4 or L5, depending on how large the species gets. 

- MantisGirl13

Here’s a video that looks a lot like your’s, but they don’t know the name. I think mantisgirl13 is definitely correct

3 minutes ago, ausar318 said:

Here’s a video that looks a lot like your’s, but they don’t know the name. I think mantisgirl13 is definitely correct

Cool mantis! 

Btw, @Weezie, some less common species have no common name to identify it by easily.

- MantisGirl13

Thanks for the info! I have no clue on the instar, it hasn't molted since I got it about three weeks ago. Pretty long, but very tiny delicate body! It's just a little wisp of a mantis.

Thanks for the info! I have no clue on the instar, it hasn't molted since I got it about three weeks ago. Pretty long, but very tiny delicate body! It's just a little wisp of a mantis.
It is so pretty, though! I wish my local pet store carried mantids! 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts