Are All These Mantids Good for Begginers?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole 78

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently stumbled across this hobby, and wanted to partake in it. It all started when I was young. I used to sit in my backyard staring at the "Green and Brown Mantids" that lived in my yard. This was way back when I was around 8. Fast forward to today. I was walking out school campus and saw a large "Brown" mantis molting. I the surfed the web to see how I could get into the hobby. I found this forum, and did some reaserch. I am going to buy a few mantids and wanted to see if they are interesting to keep/ good for beginners. Here is everything I am buying and wanted to make sure that's also all I need.

From @MantisGirl13

x2  32 oz Deli cups w/ screen lid

x5 Ghost Nymphs

x1 Mister

x1 FF Culture

From a different seller:

x1 Hierodula Blue L3

x1 Hymenopus Coronatus (Orchid) L1-L2

x1 Mystery Box with either Ooth or Mantis and Accesories

x1 Rhombodera sp. (Red Devil) L1-L2

x5 32 oz Deli Cups w/ Screen Lid

x100 Waxworms

X11 Mystery Mantis

Peat Moss (For Bottom of Enclosure)

From PetCo:

Eco Earth

Decor (Sticks, Flowers, etc)

One problem, I am broke. I spend unwisely. I make big purchases, and then have nothing left. Like my camera, or clothes, or something. I have like $4. And this all is going to cost more that $4 hehe. My Dad said he can give me a loan though. 

-Cole

Looks like a good list generally but here are a few things I learned when starting that you might find helpful:

1. This hobby is stupid cheap if you stay with deli containers and cheese puff containers, but can get expensive fast when you start to do upgrades. Lighting, timers, heaters, different containers, fake plants, hygrometers, etc. can quickly add up to many hundreds of dollars. If money is a concern, and since you are a new keeper, I would stick to fewer mantises.
  2. You do not list enough containers to house all of the mantises. If I am reading right, you plan to order 20 mantises. You then need 20 containers. Remember the 3x/2x rule for container sizes.
  3. I would not get a large quantity of mystery mantises. Some species are harder to keep, have different enclosure requirements, and you might be setting yourself up for failure by possibly getting 10 different species all at once.
  4. I have read very mixed reviews on waxworms, but not tried them myself. I find that our mantises will not strike at most worms. You will probably be better off with flies or dubias. Get housefly or blue bottle fly pupae to keep in the fridge. Flies are the favorite food of ours.
  5. L1/L2 mantises are likely to be less satisfying since they are so dang small and have so many molts to go. I would start with L3-5 on all of mine. Make sure you have appropriate fruit flies. There are different varieties and L1/2 orchids may not be able to eat the larger varieties.
  6. Looks like you are probably ordering from USMantis or Mantisplace. I haven't worked with them, but have read mixed reviews of USMantis. Make sure to check out the breeder review section on here before ordering from anyone. I am sure @MantisGirl13 will do a good job for you, and I have used MantidsGalore with great success.
  7. I have found that tweezers or forceps are very useful for feeding. We also use a little ladle for feeding to get the food into position below the mantis without having to take it out. This is important for non-climbing prey like roaches that tend to burrow.
  8. You will want at least one or two hygrometer/thermometers.
  9. You will probably need a large heat mat or heat lamp for some of the species you listed.
  10. We have discussed lighting on here before, and the idea that light cycles might be important for mantises. I would recommend some sort of lighting and a timer to set day/night cycle.
  11. Order water crystals for your feeders. It makes their care much easier. This does not include FF, which already have their moisture built into the food.
  12. Winter shipping will likely require expedited shipping with special considerations. Do not be surprised when shipping costs as much as the products you are ordering.
Best of luck, I am sure other more experienced people will chine in to help as well.

Wow @ohaple that was really helpful! I plan on housing my ghosts communally. I also have a couple containers myself. Thank you!

As a beginner, I would recommend staying with easy to keep species such as Ghosts, Chinese mantises, Carolina mantises, Giant Asian mantids and such. There are a few other easy to keep mantises as well.  I would not recommend Orchid mantises until you have kept a few easier to keep ones. They have special requirements that might be difficult to start out as, and they are expensive.  Mystery mantises also might not be the best idea since you will not know what type you are getting.

You also might not want to keep so many if this is your first time having mantises. Mantises are easy to care for, well for the most part that is, but having a lot makes it harder. And species that need heating, specific humidity and such are more difficult. Maybe wait on the more exotic species until you have been successful with easier ones and then get them later.

These are just my recommendations, feel free to do as you feel your skill levels are at. And of course good luck and have fun with your mantises whatever ones you get. 😄

Blue bottle flies and crickets and or roaches are the best feeders in my opinion. And fruit flies and hydei flies for smaller mantises. Wax worms aren't really eaten by mantises in my experiences with them.

And if you have specific questions just ask! Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Good luck.

All you need to get started is a cup, a stick, a paper towel, a mist bottle, fruit flies, and a hardy species of mantis. Creativity will take care of the rest. 😊

Cheapest hobby I've ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is 1 stick fine? Or do I need multiple for 1 mantis?

@Synapze

what at about my setup that will have 5 ghost nymphs, that should have multiple, right? Also, is it all right to get sticks from outside?

Is 1 stick fine? Or do I need multiple for 1 mantis?

@Synapze

what at about my setup that will have 5 ghost nymphs, that should have multiple, right? Also, is it all right to get sticks from outside?
1 stick per is fine for most species. They usually use the lid anyways. For outside sticks some people recommend sterilizing in the oven. Other people just risk it and use sticks from outside. We sterilized ours for peace of mind.

I agree with Synapze, but definitely see the merit in the very descriptive reply from ohaple. Mantids, in my opinion, are what you make them, cost-wise. 

For example, my first exotic mantids (God bless my ignorance 😂) were a L5 orchid female and a L3 orchid male. (As a side note, from someone who started with orchids, I would definitely not suggest it. They do require some special attention that makes them significantly harder than other species). Anyway, I did all my research, bought all the right equipment, collected some springtails from my garden, and got a decent size Dubia colony going. In the end, I had $45 invested in the orchids. Meanwhile, all the equipment cost me well over $100. I didn’t realize how much was required if you want to keep a mantis in optimal conditions, to emulate its natural environment. Anyway, those two mantids cost me close to $150 when it was all said and done. 

So what I’m saying now, is more slanted towards Synapze’s reply. All you really need is what he listed. But it works better with certain species. Orchids, frankly, aren’t really one of those species. Not saying that it can’t be done, because it certainly has (and is).

there are certainly a few things that are VERY important. The first is just a fly culture. A simple Hydei or Melo culture. I’d actually suggest having at least 3: one for feeding, one for seeding new cultures, and a backup seeder that you keep in another room (in case the one becomes infected with MITES! lol). I turned a $7 vial of 50 flies into the 10 bursting cultures I have now, but it has taken almost four months. I’m set for the rest of my life 😊 (jokingly of course)

next up, I’d suggest having another food source, for when the nymph is a bit larger. I have a Dubia colony going, and I just bought $500 red runners, so I’m hoping to get a colony of those also. The red runners are perfect for small to medium nymphs, and the dubias are perfect for medium to large nymphs, as well as adults. I’ve been reading into getting a moth culture going, but I’m still on the fence about that. But I just got 350 beemoth grubs today, so I’ve got to decide quick 😬

theres a lot of other things to factor in, but I think the others have done an excellent job covering them. So I’ll just finish on one last note. Or rather, a warning! Since mantids are relatively easy to keep, and not that expensive once you get some of the big costs out of the way, you can be tempted to get TOO many nymphs. I tell you this because it’s what’s happening to me right now. I’ve recently come into some money (extra scholarships!), and I’ve gone way overboard with my purchasing. I now have over 50 assorted nymphs, all ranging from L3 to adult. And that’s not even counting the 50+ L1-2 Creobroter nymphs that i just hatched recently. I’ve got 20 breeding pairs, all presub or subadult, except for my orchids, which are adults. And I’ve got 8 ooths in the figurative oven, all of which should hopefully hatch in the next few weeks. I think I’ve listed enough to get the point across, that it’s easy to spend a lot of money. Just be careful, unlike me 😂. But the way I see it, as long as you can handle them all, get as many as you want! I’ve only had 4 deaths in my bug corner, three of which were unavoidable mismolts. The last one was a panther mantis nymph that only made it two days after I got him. The shipping was just too much for the little fella. 

Anyway, there’s my two cents

Well most of the others covered everything pretty well but I have a few things to chime in about. 

Orchids. Orchids are wayyyy easier than everyone makes them out to be. Don’t make it more expensive and give yourself more work to do. Stick to the basics. 32 oz container with a paper towel at the bottom and maybe throw in some sticks or fake flowers. Lasts males their entire lives and lasts females up until adulthood. My first mantis more than a year ago were a orchid and a E. Musarum(I was ignorant at the time and bought two not common species XD). But they both made it to adulthood easily! Just the simple deli cup setup makes everything easier. Just be sure to mist like 2-3 times a week. 

Just don’t overwhelm yourself! That’s the way to kill the drive for this hobby. I had filled up my entire bedroom of Mantids at one point and it was way too stressful and killed my love for the hobby. I’m back now and not gonna make the same mistake.

Also as far as I’m aware Exo is the only one with these “Red Devils”. I know a couple in the US have ooths but I haven’t heard about them hatching. Did you get them from exo? He’s a pretty reliable seller but the problem is he is shipping from Poland and it takes a little while and the shipping ain’t cheap lol. And most likely you’ll end up with a lot of casualties coming from him just because of the long shipping. And with the recent temps in my area... that’s a huge risk man.

I agree with Connor, especially about the shipping from Poland. I had a friend who ordered around $100 worth of nymphs from Exo, and he only had one nymph survive the trip, and it died soon after it arrive. The box spent about two weeks in shipping, if I remember correctly. And with the weather getting colder (at least here in the Midwest), there’s just no way to safely import nymphs from another country safely. 

I agree with everyone about staying modest to start. It is very easy to overwhelm yourself! Stick to easy species at first (Ghosts are an excellent starter species, and Mantisgirl13 is a great person to buy from!). 

I only keep Orchids and Ghosts currently and just having a large number of 2 species is enough to keep me quite busy!

I echo what everyone else has said about Orchids: While they may not be 'hard' to care for, they do require special conditions which are likely different than your home is normally. To keep them appropriately, you need humidifiers, heating, thermostats and hygrometers, etc to ensure your habitat is kept within range, and as Ausar318 said, this can get spendy very quickly. Orchid nymphs aren't cheap, either.

I highly recommend starting with a species that won't require this kind of equipment and working your way up from there. Ghosts, a sprayer, some cheap plastic 32oz containers with lids, and climbing surfaces are all you need to get going. As a young guy with a limited budget, this is a fun and affordable way to get into the hobby

Also, I use plastic canvas as a climbing surface instead of sticks. It is around .70 per sheet at Hobby Lobby or any craft store. You can trim it to whatever size you need and it can be sterilized and reused. You can get it in a variety of colors, too. 

Good luck!

@Graceface Lol I have always kept my orchids in a 32oz, paper towel on bottom, some sticks, and kept them at room temp while spraying the enclosure every other day. Never lost one keeping them that way. And I spent only a couple bucks on the setup, not even that much XD. But the nymphs are expensive. Idrk if it’s because they are uncommon or just because people see them in such a special light

@Major I’d be careful with USmantis. He’s been unreliable in the past and I’ve always found his stuff way overpriced. @DeShawnand his website mantidkingdom.com literally always has the BEST deals and he has the best customer service. Never had anything less than perfection with him