Connection between fullness and molting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone knows if a mantis needs to clear it's belly before it molts.  I'm talking mostly sub adult to adult.  Or if there is a correlation to how full a mantis is in relation to when it molts.  I've noticed that I have huge spans between when my mantis won't eat until when they will molt after I see them do the "get away from me" strike at a simple prey target like a fly. I think the longest I've had was 8 days. The mantis was fine during that time, I guess it just needed time?  I don't know what a mantis needs to do in order to prepare for a molt to adulthood and I'm sure it requires a great amount of energy, but I was thinking that this is the time that they need to clear their stomach.  Does anyone have any ideas why it takes so long for a mantis to molt to adulthood once they've stopped eating and does anyone have any similar experiences?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I have noticed that even when they don't eat for a few days prior to molting their abdomen stays full, so I think that they are just storing the energy and fluids to release when molting. 

- MantisGirl13

I wonder about the same stuff all the time.  I'm still amazed how long sub-adults go between their last feeding and the final molt.  And as many times as I've seen it, almost every time I find myself getting a bit worried that they will somehow starve or not survive the molt after going on a hunger strike for so long!  You'd think I would learn by now! 🤓

Considering that the duration of the pre-molt phase for almost every other stage is usually half the time (or less) than it is for the sub-adult to adult...I just assume it has everything to do with time needed for the maturation of the wing buds/tissue, the associated muscle structure to support the wings in the thorax, and the beginning of the reproductive organs. Outside of that, what else is different between each phase?  Not too much.  Whatever is going on, almost all the food stores in the abdomen are consumed and converted during that time. The abdomen doesn't look skinny exactly, but it looks more "wrinkled", probably as a mechanism to accommodate expanding skin.  And I always love to see how the wing buds change.  They start off enlarged, and you think "any day now!"  But over the next few days, if you're paying attention, you really notice how the details and convoluted folds of the little wings starts to become visible and take shape. I figure that extra development step alone takes up quite a bit of energy and resources.  Either way, I still laugh at myself for freaking out about how it takes so darn long!  Most mornings I run downstairs, look in the enclosure, and I'm like "WHAT?! When is this thing EVER going to shed?!!!"  😛   

1 of my mantids hasn't eaten for days now. I am expecting her to molt any time. I gave her something to drink, and she liked that. (at least she got some fluids inside.) But it is not a molt to adult, but a normal molt to grow. But it takes ages to prepare, I  think

I wonder about the same stuff all the time.  I'm still amazed how long sub-adults go between their last feeding and the final molt.  And as many times as I've seen it, almost every time I find myself getting a bit worried that they will somehow starve or not survive the molt after going on a hunger strike for so long!  You'd think I would learn by now! 🤓

Either way, I still laugh at myself for freaking out about how it takes so darn long!  Most mornings I run downstairs, look in the enclosure, and I'm like "WHAT?! When is this thing EVER going to shed?!!!"  😛   
@bugboymark I can relate to everything you wrote and I share the same sentiments! Haha!  I know that they know what they're doing, but it's only human nature to worry! Lol!  Thanks for your response!

You can even see the outline of the new exoskeleton inside its existing one. For example, my orchid girl lost her back leg in a mismolt and now she's going to molt again - I looked closely at her leg "stub" and I can see the outline of a new leg growing underneath her skin. She hasn't eaten in a week and I can't wait for her to molt to subadult and regrow her leg!

We have NEVER seen a molt.

We'll get to see a few when our M. Caffra nymphs arrive, and maybe again if our M. religiosa ooth produces babies. ❤️ 

You can even see the outline of the new exoskeleton inside its existing one. For example, my orchid girl lost her back leg in a mismolt and now she's going to molt again - I looked closely at her leg "stub" and I can see the outline of a new leg growing underneath her skin. She hasn't eaten in a week and I can't wait for her to molt to subadult and regrow her leg!
Now that is really cool!

- MantisGirl13

Yep! She molted yesterday and regrew her leg, even though it's shorter and doesn't have the "petal lobe", it's still a leg! It's amazing how well mantises can regenerate themselves.
Congrats on the molt!  I agree, it is so amazing how God made them be able to regenerate their limbs!

- MantisGirl13