Cole's Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole 78

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I recently got my mantids (today) and I LOVE them. They are all either L1-2. I have a thistle, orchid, and a panther. They all ate well, the thistle ate tons. While the panther had trouble hunting, but caught a few FFs. I absolutely adore them! Here are some pics I took of them. also if you could determine what gender they are that would be great

Thistle:

rNfwR3X.jpg

7TYhyTF.jpg

Orchid:

V2HG148.jpg

RUEkbQP.jpg

bWYBZwp.jpg

Panther

4wtEB0J.jpg

Utj9JfY.jpg

wr3CMFv.jpg

zomP5gg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:)  I am glad I could help! Your thistle is beautiful, and i just love the eyes on the panther! 

- MantisGirl13

My panther is a ravenous eater! I probably will keep him/her after all. My thistle on the other hand refuses to eat. It mostly slaps away it’s food. What could that mean? My Orchid eats normally. I’m worried about the Thistle though, it’s only ate one FF in the past two days.

I am thinking about molting too if you thistle slaps away his food it is a sign of "I don't want to eat"

I hope it will have a good molt.

Ok thanks everyone!

Also quick update: Just finished feeding. Panther ate over 15, not sure how many the Orchid did, but now her abdomen is distended so she must have ate tons, and Thistle continues to display pre-molt behavior. When can I expect to see my Thistle's colors to come out? The green and white.

Ok thanks everyone!

Also quick update: Just finished feeding. Panther ate over 15, not sure how many the Orchid did, but now her abdomen is distended so she must have ate tons, and Thistle continues to display pre-molt behavior. When can I expect to see my Thistle's colors to come out? The green and white.
Wow, 15 is a lot! No more food for the panther or the orchid for a few days! I am not sure when you will start to see the colors because my thistle never got her green; she stayed tan and white all of her life.

- MantisGirl13

Ok thanks everyone!

Thistles normally never get their green until adulthood and sometimes unfortunately never get them. I believe it depends on the genes they carry and also what species of thistle they are. Not many people know but there are two different species of thistles going around, the problem is they look almost completely identical. One of the species is from Egypt and the other I forget lol. 

Wow, 15 is a lot! No more food for the panther or the orchid for a few days! I am not sure when you will start to see the colors because my thistle never got her green; she stayed tan and white all of her life.

- MantisGirl13
Is it possible to over feed a mantis? I feed mine a couple times a day. They usually eat everything. 

Yes, it is possible! Only feed once every other or every two days. Mantids do not need several meals a day. You can see how hungry they are by looking at the size of their abdomen. If the abdomen is skinny, feed the mantis. If the abdomen is bloated, no food for at least two days. 

- MantisGirl13

Some pictures I got that I thought turned out nice. Also surprise! A video!

Orchid:

YJ5qqkO.jpg

wim4T7g.jpg

Kg7iwZZ.jpg

kkpjPRL.jpg

ROsk6ic.jpg

Ox7jxDQ.jpg

Also here is a pic to determine what sex it is, please help.

NS31tc4.jpg

JXe1woT.jpg

Video!😄

https://i.imgur.com/eceNCJe.mp4

Please click on it as it will not let me display and show full video at the same time. 

Now for the Panther:

p45LUBq.jpg

5xk3cvp.jpg

What sex?

nNVVxGz.jpg

Didnt want to disturb Thistle since I think it will molt soon.

It may be too soon to tell on your Orchid nymph. Usually it is a guessing game until they reach L4 and the color band develops. Based on what I've seen in your awesome photos, it looks male (narrow leg petals, I'm counting 6 or so segments with the last segment looking small). Again, very hard to determine at L2. 

I've never sexed a panther mantis before, but it also looks male based on the abdominal segments. 

Great photos! Do you use a macro lens?