Mantis Inspired Art

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisGirl13

Reaction score
IMG_20180510_214010_kindlephoto-219216050.jpgIMG_20180510_213913_kindlephoto-219427128.jpgDoes anyone paint or sketch their mantids? I do, and I thought I should share some of my sketches on here! Please give me your honest opinion of my artwork. Thanks! 

IMG_20180510_213913_kindlephoto-219427128.jpg

IMG_20180510_213959_kindlephoto-219327876.jpg

IMG_20180510_214010_kindlephoto-219216050.jpgIMG_20180510_214033_kindlephoto-218771477.jpg

IMG_20180510_214047_kindlephoto-218636873.jpg

- MantisGirl13

I love it! You did a good job capturing their personality in your drawings ❤ The Ghost is giving me a look that mine give me all the time 

😊 Thanks, @Graceface! It can be so easy or really tricky to capture the personality. It was pretty easy for me in the orchid and ghost sketches, but the Violin and Thistle were harder and they don't look as good.

- MantisGirl13

Oh wow! This is exactly what I was planning on doing with my collection as it grew - draw them! I love having live models to draw and, hopefully, draw further inspiration from (life drawing is definitely something I find soothing, but creature design is one of my real passions!)

These are looking quite nice! I definitely agree that you've managed to capture personality in your drawings. One thing I would recommend in general is to break down you drawings to their simplest bits before building them up. By this I mean, start off with the gestures - a few lines to indicate the subject's line of action in its pose. Then break down the subject's form into simple shapes. Some circles and ovals, triangles squares, etc... Then you can connect the shapes and lines and add in those details and shading as you wish. The first two steps may seem a little abstract at first - I can make an actually helpful visual guide if you're interested - but they can definitely help in any drawing once you've gotten the hang of it! These drawings are really lovely. Keep up the good work!

Oh wow! This is exactly what I was planning on doing with my collection as it grew - draw them! I love having live models to draw and, hopefully, draw further inspiration from (life drawing is definitely something I find soothing, but creature design is one of my real passions!)

These are looking quite nice! I definitely agree that you've managed to capture personality in your drawings. One thing I would recommend in general is to break down you drawings to their simplest bits before building them up. By this I mean, start off with the gestures - a few lines to indicate the subject's line of action in its pose. Then break down the subject's form into simple shapes. Some circles and ovals, triangles squares, etc... Then you can connect the shapes and lines and add in those details and shading as you wish. The first two steps may seem a little abstract at first - I can make an actually helpful visual guide if you're interested - but they can definitely help in any drawing once you've gotten the hang of it! These drawings are really lovely. Keep up the good work!
Thank you for the tips! I am not so happy with the Violin and the thistle, but they were the first ones I ever did. I have a few more pictures somewhere that I can show of a few other sketches I have done. Do you sketch much?

- MantisGirl13

Thank you for the tips! I am not so happy with the Violin and the thistle, but they were the first ones I ever did. I have a few more pictures somewhere that I can show of a few other sketches I have done. Do you sketch much?

- MantisGirl13
It's not uncommon to feel unsatisfied with the first attempt (and really all attempts thereafter, as I've learned. Many artists are rarely satisfied with their work, myself included 🤣) I'd love to see your other sketches if you'd like to share! You've definitely got some great potential in your art!

I do enjoy sketching, though with my present work schedule I've had far less time to do it as I'd like. I've learned that sketching from life and photo reference is an important skill to have if you wish to hone your skills in most visual arts (I've of course yet to try ALL visual arts, so I could not say this certainly for every branch)

Wow! The detail is extraordinary! You've painted (metaphorically) a picture in my head! The ghosts sits in wait to snag some dinner. It's jerks his head at the first sign of movement. It anticipates the catch, tensing her muscles, flexing her claws till the the poor morsel came close enough. And then it struck!

My favorite has to be the ghost, then the fourth one, then the violin, then the last one, and my least favorite is the second one. That's the order I like them in. 

You have so much potential, and since your young, you can keep getting better day by day! Good luck sketching!

Love your sketches, I sketch all the time my mantids and reptiles. I love the ghost how it just stares at you. My favorite is the ghost, then the Orchid, 3rd the panther mantis, 4th the violin mantis and last the second one which appears to be a spiny flower mantis. Awesome!!!

Wow! The detail is extraordinary! You've painted (metaphorically) a picture in my head! The ghosts sits in wait to snag some dinner. It's jerks his head at the first sign of movement. It anticipates the catch, tensing her muscles, flexing her claws till the the poor morsel came close enough. And then it struck!

My favorite has to be the ghost, then the fourth one, then the violin, then the last one, and my least favorite is the second one. That's the order I like them in. 

You have so much potential, and since your young, you can keep getting better day by day! Good luck sketching!
Thank you! I love sketching because I enjoy capturing the personality of the mantis. They are fairly easy to sketch because of their exoskeleton and the way the light glints off of it to create light and shadow.

- MantisGirl13

It's not uncommon to feel unsatisfied with the first attempt (and really all attempts thereafter, as I've learned. Many artists are rarely satisfied with their work, myself included 🤣) I'd love to see your other sketches if you'd like to share! You've definitely got some great potential in your art!

I do enjoy sketching, though with my present work schedule I've had far less time to do it as I'd like. I've learned that sketching from life and photo reference is an important skill to have if you wish to hone your skills in most visual arts (I've of course yet to try ALL visual arts, so I could not say this certainly for every branch)
Yeah, I often feel that my sketches are not so good, though I am proud of some of them! I will see if I can find pictures of some other mantids I have drawn. 

- MantisGirl13

Love your sketches, I sketch all the time my mantids and reptiles. I love the ghost how it just stares at you. My favorite is the ghost, then the Orchid, 3rd the panther mantis, 4th the violin mantis and last the second one which appears to be a spiny flower mantis. Awesome!!!
Thank you! Btw, the second one is a thistle mantis. I will post a pic (eventually) of a spiny flower I drew. I think it is much better than the thistle.

- MantisGirl13

Yeah, I often feel that my sketches are not so good, though I am proud of some of them! I will see if I can find pictures of some other mantids I have drawn. 

- MantisGirl13
Being able to see your mistakes helps you grow as an artist, while being able to see your successes helps you maintain joy in creating and growing. Both are equally important.

I love the other drawings you've posted. You've definitely got some talent! Please keep at it, you're doing excellent work!

Being able to see your mistakes helps you grow as an artist, while being able to see your successes helps you maintain joy in creating and growing. Both are equally important.

I love the other drawings you've posted. You've definitely got some talent! Please keep at it, you're doing excellent work!
I agree, if I never saw my mistakes or was criticized by someone with greater talent I would never have been able to even replicate a mantis on paper! 

Thank you so much! I definitely plan to keep sketching!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts