Looking for advice for new mantids!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltarMantis

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm back at this forum after nearly 2 years break! 

I'm moving into a new apartment with two friends where I will be hosting a lot of gatherings and where I will be farming insects for food. I want to raise mantida in my new homes and display some in my living room. I hear if well fed there are a few species that will not be as apt to prey on each other and am interested by this. I would love to raise multiple mantids in a large enclosure though I feel I will be corrected on this. If I am just raising one I think I would prefer something large and hardly like the giant Asian or African. I would love advice on picking a specific species that as a priority is less easily stressed as I would love to employ my new friend as an ambassador to entophobic humans. And advice on the proper care elements such as heating,lighting, and enclosure that is easy to use and aethestically pleasing. I'm profoundly happy to be back in the community and am excited to hear from you all.

Welcome back! 

I hear if well fed there are a few species that will not be as apt to prey on each other and am interested by this.
Ghost mantids are communal if properly fed, but at some point you would probably need to separate the males from the females. I can't think of any large species that are communal.🤔

I think I would prefer something large and hardly like the giant Asian or African.
Great choices! I find them less vulnerable to stress from activity near the enclosure. My Hierodula are in a relatively high traffic area and they never appear to be stressed out. If anything they almost seem interested in the activity. My 2 Sphrodomantis don't seem to stress, but show no interest in interacting. I measure stress in the simplest of ways... if they're eating, pooping, and appear active and healthy, they aren't too stressed. Obviously if they are thrashing about or running around the enclosure, they are stressed out. All of my H & S are getting old and remain healthy, so I'm doing something right. 

And advice on the proper care elements such as heating,lighting, and enclosure that is easy to use and aethestically pleasing. 
I highly recommend this very informative post. 👇

My enclosures are very basic and made mostly with repurposed items, but the Enclosures and Housing forum has tons of ideas for elaborate and eye appealing habitats. Definitely check it out. 

Hopefully, someone smarter and more experienced will respond. I'm interested to find out if there are any larger communal species. 

Good luck! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghosts and Violins are considered communal, but I have seen cannibalism in both species. If you are looking for a beautiful, large, friendly, communal mantis, go with Violins. I have heard that 'Chaetas are communal as well, but they are rare in the hobby.

- MantisGirl13

Thanks everyone! All advice much appreciated. I think I'm going to go for a bright color variant of the African mantis specifically blue. Regardless can someone point me to a reputable website for purchase? One day surely my interest will tend towards some of these more exotic species mentioned.