Best mantids for beginners?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5eyesUK

Reaction score
Hello lovely people,  as some of you know, I am new to mantids and getting hooked 😀

So I have my gastrica L? and a spiny flower L5.  I'm learning by the minute and fascinated by these creatures.

Although I cant go crazy on numbers due to my circumstances, I think I could still manage 1 or even 2 more. It also makes sense considering purchasing the feeder insects, to have a few eaters...

Could you advise me based on your experience, which mantids would be suitable for beginners? The main factor being, they should be ok with the same temps as gastrica & spiny as I can only keep them all in one heated cupboard. Also, something that I could leave home alone for a weekend or so. Happy to be handled, too.

Thank you so much for your ongoing support 😊

Just sharing pics - my gastrica inside her food dish staring in disbelief that her mealworm is gone already

and my spiny enjoying her first ever mini mealworm 😀

received_313662479352555.jpeg

received_2267747190168558.jpeg

Hierodula sp. are super easy to care for... I've never lost one. You may want to give Stagmomantis carolina (wide temperature range of 19-29° C) or Chinese a try, both are easy care and rather large. Ghosts are also super super easy if you don't  mind smaller species.

You already know Sphodromantis is easy care. ☺️

I'm new to the hobby as well. I second MantisGirl13's recommendation. I ordered four ghost mantises because I thought I was going to end up accidentally killing one or two. They are all still alive and seem to be thriving. Minimal care is needed--I check on them multiple times per day, but that's mostly just because I'm fascinated by them. I mist daily (sometimes I forget and its every other day), feed once or twice per week, and have a light on them. My room stays around 70 degrees, +/- 5 degrees. The only tool I have to really use to make sure everything is copacetic is a hygrometer, and I only have one hygrometer in one of the four enclosures since the setup in each is the same. It's been almost two months now and they have all molted and seem to be happy. I'm sure theres more I can do to increase their quality of life, but as it stands, rearing ghost mantises has been easier than I had anticipated.

Hierodulas are a good beginner species, ghosts ,budwings and creobroters also :) For myself I had chosen a hierodula menbranacea  as first mantis because they are big as an adult. ;)

Your Venosa is beautiful, it is still sad  Icouln't save mine.

You are not a n00b anymore. You brought your girl to adulthood

Not anymore! 

- MantisGirl13
I suppose not. Yall have years experience though, whereas i have months. 

Yeah shes big and mean now. LoL. Must be lonely and needs a date.

@Little Mantis you should grab another, and try again. ☺

Hi guys, im back. Im not great at being a regular here but do my best. 😁

Ah that Venosa is gorgeous!!!  

Ghosts are beautiful, i love the shape of them.... but for some reason Im not quite drawn to them right now, i think for now i prefer the big species....

Actually, guys, since I wrote that post, ive  been busy hunting down UK breeders as thats where I am and out of what I found, I struck lucky! 😈😈😈

Yes, tomorrow im expecting a delivery of 5 - yes 5!!!! Red Devils!!!! Rhombodera sp. I dont know what got into me but when I saw the offer, they are pretty rare but the breeder explained that not so hard to keep so I made a jump and got a few to try to breed them 😨😨

So there is my answer...... I thought id like to get something a bit "special" whilst still fairly hardy.  

So have you seen these before? This is a pic from the web of an adult, nymphs are still greenish. They have some special requirements but nothing too difficult.... 

rhombodera-sp-red-devil.jpg

I know...... i would be, too 😂😂😂

.....Thank you! Im super excited 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! They just arrived today, exciting times 😀

Does any of you keep Rhomboderas? I cannot find many good care sheets....

received_2068201013295487.jpeg

Latest posts