Sexing Rhombo nymph?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5eyesUK

Reaction score
What instar would you say one could make an educated guess at sexing a Rhombodera  nymph?

According to this care sheet it can be done after 2nd molt. So would that be L3 then? Would you agree with such a suggestion?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/scabies/rhombodera-sp-malaysian-shield-mantis-t4278.html

I was sold some L2 nymphs which I got asap as they were supposedly a rare species and the seller said they cannot be sexed yet. Fair enough. Im slightly worried tho that I was sent all males and if thats the case I hope it was unintentional as I was hoping to have a go at breeding.

If anybody had photos of the youngest possible sexed Rhomboderas that wouldbe very helpful.  

Its the elusive "Red Devil". To be honest, im not even totally sure if this is real or I've been duped into a hoax. There seems to be a bit of a controversy around this "Red Devil" stock... Just around the time when I started to feel all cocky thinking hmmmm the next mantis I buy, Id like to experience breeding it, I happened to come upon the sale of these nymphs and I researched with the seller as well as others, how difficult they are to keep, and decided to go for it. However, there is such a little info about them and some mystery and I am wondering whether they are genuine.... 😨

rhombodera-sp-red-devil (3).jpg

This is the sellers photo of the nymph, I bought 5 of them. 

Sold as Red Devil mantis, Rhombodera sp red.  

Was told it gets redder as it grows and for the best colour to keep it in darkened area at 18C.  Does that sound feasable or does it sound alarm bells to anyone?

53111041_308157159887633_7328305901763297280_o (1)-1.jpg

This guy's got some aswell. I dont know him, wonder if hes on this forum?

Do you know the full scientific name? I have never, ever, heard of a "Red Devil" Rhombodera. 

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the full scientific name? I have never, ever, heard of a "Red Devil" Rhombodera. 

- MantisGirl13
I know and thats what I mean by the controversy.

All I can say (since there is almost no info online available) is that a breeder (from Poland/ Germany???) called Exo offers them aswell. However, I did not buy them from him.

Interesting! Let me know if you find anything else out about this species! Where did you get yours?

- MantisGirl13

I got them from someone in the UK (where I live) who could not give me much information either, she said she got a number of nymphs from a friend as she also wanted to breed them and she resold some. Im just a little bit worried whether she was just reselling her spare males however, I guess she really couldnt sex them at the L2 size... The ones ive got do all look rather thin and long but Im not experienced with Rhombo, maybe thats normal at that stage...

I a  also a little bit worried about the 18 C temps, i dont know about any mantids wanting that temperature. I do hope Ill manage to keep them healthy.....

Yes, I will write more as I go with these guys 😊

@MantisGirl13 wow really? Well very cool as an art piece. I did think that I certainly have not seen one like that anywhere lol

Maybe my nymphs are photoshopped aswell....... 😀 Only time will tell I suppose. The experiement was worth the investment ☺

I’ve heard of these before. I can’t tell you if they’re real or not, I don’t think they’ve made it to the States yet. I do know someone in Germany who has some young Red Devil nymphs that he’s claimed are turning red, and he’s a pretty experienced keeper, so there’s a possibility there. 

@River Dane hi, I believe you are talking about Exo/ B? I have seen the references online and I myself am wondering whether my seller got the stock from him or somewhere along the line and just doesnt want to specifically tell me because of the mixed reputation..... But the Red Devil does seem to be a thing and as you say, just getting itself known in Europe.

I dont know if youve read further up this thread but can I ask you, what do you think about the fact I was told to keep them in the darkened area at 18 C? Its not similar to other Rhombo care Ive seen. I do hope its correct because thats what Im currently doing with them...

Only time will tell with this experiment 😀

Btw do you have an experience with Exo, would you recommend him?

I’ve heard of these before. I can’t tell you if they’re real or not, I don’t think they’ve made it to the States yet. I do know someone in Germany who has some young Red Devil nymphs that he’s claimed are turning red, and he’s a pretty experienced keeper, so there’s a possibility there. 
Interesting! I wonder what sp. they are! 

- MantisGirl13

@River Dane do you know by any chance at what instar they are turning red?

Latest posts