Ghosts: Colouring & communal ???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5eyesUK

Reaction score
Hello my dear crew of experts ☺

Id like to ask your advice and experience..

After my small handful of mantises I finally got to the stage where Id like to get some ghosts ❤

Yes I have read up on them here and there and there are 2 areas on which id love to get more specific info:

1) What's with the colours, how do I get more unusual ones - reds, greens, black etc? Is it genetic or is it conditions and if the latter, what's needed?

2) I do have my ❤ set on keeping a little community, I do understand that yes there is a risk but Id be willing to embrace that. Anyone willing to share their tips on communal enclosures?

Many thanks 🙏

There is no way to ensure that you get colors. It is a genetics thing. In my experience though, males are usually Brown and black and female a are good and green. 

For a communal enclosure, use a large tank and supply food every day, making sure that every ghost is full every day. There is still a risk of cannibalism, but that is the best way. The more space the better for a communal enclosure. A smaller feeding enclosure night be needed to ensure that every mantis gets fed.

Hope that helps!

- MantisGirl13

Thank you @MantisGirl13  one reason why I want to try communal is because I already have a large viv id like to use.

What size enclosure would you say per how many ghosts?

Its actually not a viv as such, its a "mini green house" which im going to customise with some mesh on top and a bioactive substrate and plants....

Width:
45 cm

Depth:
22 cm

Height:
35 cm
I am soon buying some L2 nymphs, thought id raise them in deli cups untill theyr big enough not to get too lost in this viv? 

4_IKEA’s-mini-greenhouse.jpg

@5eyesUK Thats a nice enclosure, if it provides ventilation. If not, older humid species may struggle with respiration. The mesh will be extremely important.

Are the panels glass or lexan/polycarbonate? 

@hysteresis thanks! Yes i thought ill keep the top open as needed (partly, fully etc depending on conditions) as i will make a mesh lid/ top anyway. 

The sides are acrylic so I could burn a few holes in aswell for a better ventilation. What location would be best for the holes? Along the bottom line? Vertically? Etc.

I see people drilling holes in different orientations. Were it me, id use the smallest drill size I could find to prevent escapees and drill vertically. Having said that, if you have enough ventilation on the top, you may not need to cross drill at all.

Acrylic is cool. Easy to work with. Drilling would look better. If you mesh the entire upper panels, you could drill nice 3/8" diameter holes for ventilation.

If you plan on keeping thistles or other ephusids, youll want traction surfaces like mesh on the sides and drill those panels out substantially.