They is risen !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
They is risen !

Easter Mantids hatch this morning (one of three ooths).

Nice, healthy births. About 200 cute, hungry pups. Now the panic to get them food (didn't expect the hatch quite so soon).

I've been away from the hobby for a couple of years; now scrambling to re-establish vendor contacts and housing sources!

Have nice video, but too large for this server 😒  Tried using URL, but that failed also.  URL trick used to work fine on this board. 😕

Thanks everyone! Just in a vendor panic trying to get melnogasters !!  Maybe will try Josh's Frogs (never used before).

Hahaha congrats. I had an ootheca of Tenodera sinensis hatch Christmas day. Naturally I went with Christmas themed names and have their tank decorated with Christmas decorations. XD

Thanks everyone! Just in a vendor panic trying to get melnogasters !!  Maybe will try Josh's Frogs (never used before).
Do you have a PetSmart or PetCo near you? They carry fruit flies.

- MantisGirl13

Hahaha congrats. I had an ootheca of Tenodera sinensis hatch Christmas day. Naturally I went with Christmas themed names and have their tank decorated with Christmas decorations. XD
I suspect they were very happy with the Xmas decorations! 🎅

I finally found a PetSmart that had melnogasters.  Most do not around these parts.  But all is well -- got an overnight of an active culture from Josh's Frogs, and have started another culture myself.  Also got prompt response for container supplies from my old standby vendor Rebecca @ Mantis Place.  Although I've raised many species over the years, this couple year hiatus has made me slightly rusty.  You're right Little Mantis, herding several hundred T. sinensis nymphs is a madhouse.  Not to mention getting those melos from the culture container to the small mantid condos.

Update:

Most of the hatchlings (about 200) were taken over to Princeton University and sprinkled in a number of large, flowering gardens.  The pups will be studying entomology, primarily - but a few  said they were interested in:  neurobiology, astrophysics and international finance.

The remaining crew to be raised as pets are:  Gage, Copernicus, Boo, Scooter, Apollo, Opus, Nash, Muse and Rabbit.  All L2 or L3 T. sinensis. 

Latest posts