Tybalt will soon die and I want to pin him

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
My male hierodula masjuscula, Tybalt is dying (not much life in him left, sadly enough) I am thinking to pin him instead of burrying him in the garden. How can I prepare his body the best for pinning? what about his abdomen, will it rot?

I’ve read that you typically will want to clean out their abdomen, so that they don’t rot/discolor/stink. If you have a razor, just carefully cut along it’s abdomen where you won’t see it and use tweezers/toothpick to clean out all the goodies 😊

If his abdomen is skinny, don't bother cleaning it out. Position his body how you want it and let it dry.

- MantisGirl13

If his abdomen is skinny, don't bother cleaning it out. Position his body how you want it and let it dry. 
He is skinny, yes. I will have to look for a temp underground to pin him on. Never done it before. I don't know if it will work. But I will wait till he is totally gone.

I have pinned several mantids, one of them male, and you don't have to keep them at a cooler temp (unless it's really hot where you are), all you have to do is position them and dry them. Do not freeze the pinned mantis because it will discolor it.

- MantisGirl13

How can I prepare his body the best for pinning? what about his abdomen, will it rot?
With the larger species, especially females, I make an incision on the abdomen and remove as much of the innards as possible. Then, I carefully stuff the cavity with cotton (one small bit at a time using tweezers) until the abdomen looks normal. If you don't, chances are the abdomen will collapse or rot. The specimen will usually be dry enough to mount in 2-3 weeks depending on size. If you get impatient and try to mount before it is completely dry, the wings may droop after it is pinned and exposed to humidity. 

Good luck! 

Where do you make an incision? At the side of the abdomen? and what do you use when you to close it again?

Right down the center as pictured. If you stuff with just enough cotton to restore to the original size, the edges of the cut will meet and no adhesive should be necessary. If the cut remains open, it has been overstuffed and some cotton will need to be removed. Don't try to use one large piece of cotton or you'll make a mess of things. Small fluffy pieces inserted one at a time is the way to go and will give the most natural look. You don't want to pack it in. 

Hope this helps. 😕

Screenshot_20190423-163053_zpsijhmkpm2.jpg

Tybalt is died yesterday.  I pinned him yesterday. I hope he will dry nicely en then I want to put him in a frame. I will miss him.

tybalt-pinned.jpg

Where should I put him to dry? He is still laying on my desk. I hope he will keep his colors. Ayaweya is beautiful too. But she has no mate.