Has anyone been bitten by their mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch65009

Reaction score
Hi there, i just had a quick question about mantids biting. It got me worried today when my mantis for the first time tried to bite me. Luckily, she was on my fingernail at the time and nothing happened. Just wondering how a bite would feel, and what i should look out for. If they are tempted to bite, would i be able to tell? or is it just random? Please let me know, thank you.

I’ve heard of large species drawing blood before. Most of the time people say it’s because they mistook their finger for food and tried to eat it. I’ve also seen a mantis open it’s mandibles when I had to pick it up by the thorax to move him.

Another thing to note is sometimes a mantis will nibble at your finger because it’s thirsty. Sometimes they try to drink your sweat, and this behavior can easily be confused with aggressiveness. The first time a mantis tried to drink off of my hand, I had a mini heart attack, and it was just a wee nymph!

Never been bitten here, but I have felt the spikes of their frontlegs. There is a lot of strength in their frontlegs.

This reminds me of a vid where a guy let his mantis biting/eating his finger (crazy) the mandibles goes very easy through skin. (and it did hurt of course)

Yes, but rarely. First remember... the mantis is not intentionally trying to hurt you or "being mean". The  grasping strength of the raptorials can be shocking and painful, and can break the skin. Our instincts tell us to "get it off fast!", but don't let the shock cause you to accidentally harm your mantis. Don't try to shake or brush it off. If the mantis grabs you and begins to bow its head to nibble, quickly grab a pencil (chopsticks are great for this) and place between the head and your skin. If the mantis doesn't release, a fine spritz of water will usually do the trick. The mandibles of some larger species can easily and quickly leave you bleeding. With smaller species you don't have anything to worry about. ☺️

And of course, clean the wound thoroughly.

Tip: For large aggressive species, try to keep your fingers together and flat. A single finger is much more likely to get bitten. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My femala H. venosa is savage at times. I always have something ready to intervene. Just remember that whatever tool you use will be difficult to remove from their grasp if they lock down. Plan accordingly. 

Oh boy, after reading this , im scared to hold my mantis now, lol.  What @River Dane said about the wanting water thing could have been the case with me though. My mantis bowed her head and tried to eat my finger nail, and as i tried to move her away from getting close to my skin, she got very defensive.

I posted about this same topic when I first got a mantis in a FB forum. Due to the replies and there were many I was really scared for a bit to hold mine, still am to some extent but at this point, not one has tried to bite but I have had a few drink out of my hand and that was really adorable.

There is really nothing to be scared of, so I wouldn't worry about it. 

Facts: Mantid mandibles have the capability of breaking skin just as our teeth do. Mantids rarely attempt to harm a human. Large specimens have more of a capacity to cause harm, but, and I cannot stress this point enough, the chances of being physically harmed by your mantis are so low it isn't worth worrying about. 

My cats accidentally hurt me on a weekly basis and that never stops me from sticking my face in their fluffy bellies or dangling a toy in front of them! 

Insects are different from humans and are looked upon as "gross" or "weird" by many, causing an irrational fear (trust me I know, I have it too lol). Mantids are such fascinating creatures that we are willing to overcome this stigma, but there is still a bit of trepidation in handling them, I notice. Just stay calm and take it slow. Your mantis means you no harm, and the more you get used to handling them, the less you will fear their built in weaponry and the more they will get used to being handled by you, too 😊 

Just keep it up and don't fear the reaper lol

Those are some very good points @Graceface and that did help a lot. I've held her many times before, she even sat on my hand as I played video games once, lol. I wasn't worried until then, but thank you for the help

Oh boy, after reading this , im scared to hold my mantis now, lol.  What @River Dane said about the wanting water thing could have been the case with me though. My mantis bowed her head and tried to eat my finger nail, and as i tried to move her away from getting close to my skin, she got very defensive.
Unexpected and/or sudden movements will potentially frighten a mantis, and even cause a threat display in some species. Slow and steady always wins the race with handling mantids. 

It does sound like your mantis may have been thirsty. I like to let my Orchids drink off of my hand when they are willing. Its fun and it kinda tickles 😋 They are always super gentle and I've never been pinched or even been concerned about such things. Another thing to consider is whether you are misting your mantis enough, so that he/she isn't going thirsty for as long (not sure what species you keep, but we have some great care sheets on the forum). 

Those are some very good points @Graceface and that did help a lot. I've held her many times before, she even sat on my hand as I played video games once, lol. I wasn't worried until then, but thank you for the help
Sounds like you are doing alright with you mantis, if it hangs out with you playing video games! Keep up the good work and you have nothing to fear (except a case of Mantis fever lol) 

Unexpected and/or sudden movements will potentially frighten a mantis, and even cause a threat display in some species. Slow and steady always wins the race with handling mantids. 

It does sound like your mantis may have been thirsty. I like to let my Orchids drink off of my hand when they are willing. Its fun and it kinda tickles 😋 They are always super gentle and I've never been pinched or even been concerned about such things. Another thing to consider is whether you are misting your mantis enough, so that he/she isn't going thirsty for as long (not sure what species you keep, but we have some great care sheets on the forum). 

Sounds like you are doing alright with you mantis, if it hangs out with you playing video games! Keep up the good work and you have nothing to fear (except a case of Mantis fever lol) 
Lol thanks! I've never thought about trying too feed her water from my hand. But I mist her once daily. I might post a picture later and see if anyone here knows the species of mantis she is, cause I'm not 100% sure, I just know that it's a pretty common species. 

Lol thanks! I've never thought about trying too feed her water from my hand. But I mist her once daily. I might post a picture later and see if anyone here knows the species of mantis she is, cause I'm not 100% sure, I just know that it's a pretty common species. 
My Orchids are seemingly always thirsty, so it is easy to get them to drink water off pretty much any surface, lol

Everyone loves mantis pictures, so you should totally post a Pic! I'm rubbish at identifying species, but others are great at it, so give it a try 😊

My Orchids are seemingly always thirsty, so it is easy to get them to drink water off pretty much any surface, lol

Everyone loves mantis pictures, so you should totally post a Pic! I'm rubbish at identifying species, but others are great at it, so give it a try 😊
Yeah I actually got a little video so here it is!

View attachment VID_20190502_145641.mp4