Interesting article

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That a big mantis can grab a humming bird I already knew. There are vids of that on youtube. They can grab snakes too. They are good hunters. Their eyes are bigger than their stomach🤣

Cool! I'm kind of surprised that it's a religiosa not a T. sinensis.

- MantisGirl13

There are videos.  A spider dragging a mouse possum on the forest floor. They are inverts. The fangs are close to an inch. arachnidphobes will have trouble sleeping tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in recovery. I can look at them now without freaking. It is funny once I decided to not freak out they stopped bugging me.  Bugging me means sitting reading a book and a spider comes down from the ceiling 3 inches from your faces. Or walking across the lenses of your glasses. My niece years ago was(is) an aranchidphobe. I told her the story about them bugging me and it started happening to her. She was convinced that I had the power to sick them on her. LOL

Cool. Wouldn't want the hummingbirds on my property getting eaten though. 🤣

Goliath spiders can kill and eat hummingbirds, rodents and lizards. They are 11 inches across and have 25 year life-span.
Can I make a small correction?  :) Species of the genus Theraphosa only very rarely get that big. But you're absolutely correct in implying how tarantulas are amazing hunters! Other species that get large can take down vertebrates too. 

Probably poop my pants if it caught me unaware. 🤣
Lol :)  

I once found a male Chinese by taking a walk around our neighborhood at dusk. I stopped under a stress light and a huge buzzing thing landed in y hair. It took me a second to realize it was a mantis!

- MantisGirl13

Apparently word is getting out that mantises are now a danger to your humming birds and to kill any mantises on sight unless you want all your hummingbirds dead.