Deformity from Molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLdy

Reaction score
I am so heartbroken right now.  I came home from work to find that one of my Hierodula Majuscula Had undergone her final molt, but something went terribly wrong.  It looks like she must have fallen mid molt.  I’m not sure if the leaves that I have in her enclosure got in the way and caused her to fall or not. I found her at the bottom of her enclosure. She managed to free herself from the shed, but her upper body is bent and cannot straighten. One of Her forearms will not close at all and another leg is bent at a wierd angle. Her face and mandibles look deformed  as well.  I picked her up and gently tried to straighten her, but she had already started to harden in that position. I helped her hang from a leaf, but she is unable to move much at all on her own.  She will not make it because she will not be able to catch and hold prey in her current condition. Would it be best to put her down, or should I just let nature take its course?  What would be the most humane way of putting her down should I decide to go that route?  I hate seeing her like this and the thought of her slowly starving to death. 😪  

I have two more Hierodula Majuscula who will be ready for their final molt any day now (they are all siblings).  Out of paranoia I removed all the leaves from their enclosures so there is nothing in there for them to get hung up on. The top if their enclosures are mesh (like screen for a screen door).  Will that suffice for them to affix themselves for the molt or should I add some of the leaves back in?  Right now they have nothing but the mesh under the top to hold on to.  I’m worried they may try to hold onto the plastic part of the enclosure to molt, but I don’t want the leaves to get in their way and cause them to fall.  

40C61F4B-9BB2-4925-BA3A-ABA680FAC0CC.jpeg

92579DB7-0F59-444E-ADDA-181ADA3FB00B.jpeg

37BC3299-A224-4095-8F3D-A855FEE581A1.jpeg

Sorry about your mismolt. If her mandibles are misformed, she'll starve. You could freeze her. Your choice.

Tub -  You could hot glue something to the insides. Bear in mind, as the tub sides flex, the hot glue could peel off. So, drill a tiny small hole thru, get some hot glue through the hole. Then once youve set your item, put a dab of hot glue to the hole from the outside. It'll form a rivet, holding the item securely. 😂

The item will stay to the side, and leaving free area for molting. 

Again, sorry about your mismolt. 😞

If only her thorax is deformed, then she could still live. Give her your best shot. Keep your mantids in cages with more mesh on the sides. Sorry about your mismolt.

- MantisGirl13

Thanks for the suggestions and condolences everyone.  I tried to hand feed her for two days, but she just wasn’t able to take it.  I put her down last night because I couldn’t bear to see her suffer any longer.  😢

Thanks for the suggestions and condolences everyone.  I tried to hand feed her for two days, but she just wasn’t able to take it.  I put her down last night because I couldn’t bear to see her suffer any longer.  😢
That's the best thing to do. 

Sorry you lost her. 😥

I'm so sorry, but you did the right thing.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts