Mantids for Kids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyedPiper

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on mantids for kids pets?  At first glance it appeared there was little to no worry of a bite or a pinch, but after reading the forum I'm a little worried about little fingers.  Should I stay away from the bigger species?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts on mantids for kids pets?  At first glance it appeared there was little to no worry of a bite or a pinch, but after reading the forum I'm a little worried about little fingers.  Should I stay away from the bigger species?
I think they should be fine for kids. My kid has a bunch of her own mantis to care for (she does not like some of mine, especially the larger species). It's just that some species are more aggressive and may get frightened easily. I would recommend Ghost, Brunner, Violins and Cat's eye are really sweet and pretty tame. The mantids also get used to handling if you do it a lot and become less afraid.

Got one for a co-worker for her 2 y/o son.  She wanted to get him an ant farm, which are lame and filled with fire ants (which I learned the hard way).  She settled on an S. Gastrica.  I hope he/she doesn't become aggressive as it gets bigger.

I have some Ghosts (which she wasn't too stoked about), but I'd swap a couple of them out to save her son from getting swiped/bitten.

I wanted something that was big enough from clumsy little hands but friendly and easy to care for.

My venosa female is a beast. Shes pinched and nibbled at us all but hasn't broken skin. 

20190302_212657.jpg

My membranacea pair are still young, curious, and "sweet". I kmow what I they'll be be like when they're matured.

The females! 😖

I think it would depend on the age of the kid and how mature they are. For most kids who are mature and responsible to care for a pet, a mantis is perfect! I agree with all of @Jaywo's species suggestions.

- MantisGirl13

I think it would depend on the age of the kid and how mature they are. For most kids who are mature and responsible to care for a pet, a mantis is perfect! I agree with all of @Jaywo's species suggestions.

- MantisGirl13
Yes, Definitely age matter and maturity for sure.

IMHO, age isn't such a big deal for the care of the animal. I believe it is the parent's responsibility to double check that the animal is being properly cared for, whether its a dog or fish or mantis. Age is a critical factor in handling however.

For species, I think ghost mantises are a no-brainer. They get to be an appropriate size; large enough to be interesting but small enough not to be scary. They are active and eat well, but do not seem prone to getting startled and jumping/flying. I have never had one of ours strike at me or bite except when I was pushing it to climb for feeding. They grow and change rapidly and have great camouflage, both of which can be good lessons for kids.

I think inverts generally make great pets for kids. Their life-cycles are generally shorter to align with kids' short attention spans, they are cheap, they are relatively easy to care for, and they come in so many varieties. Isopods, snails, roaches, mantises, beetles, millipedes, hermit crabs, etc. are all good choices, and to me, are more interesting than the typical hamster or (usually poorly kept) goldfish.

Alana, my hieodula menbranacea is a sweety. she is very calm and nice.  That is the one I show to others. I saw that smaller kids think Alana is scary. (but they are not used to see big insects) but it is good for kids to learn take care of something.

Our venosa was sweet as pie, untile she turned adult. Even worse right after producing an ooth... SO HUNGRY! 
Oh lol😂😂 one of mine is an adult now(the one that almost died from falling while molting). She is a little more angry than she used to be, but not too bad. Haha

It really depends on the mantis and the child. I was in elementary school when I kept my first mantis. She was a wild caught, adult Tenodera sinensis. She was the mantis that made me fall in love with mantises. Never threw so much as a threat pose in my direction despite all the handling. I knew even at that age however not to try and grab her.

I often bring my mantises around for the little ones in the family to see. Over the years I've had some mantises I wouldn't let a child hold and others I would pass around in a classroom. It really can depend on the individual. Certain species are more mellow than others. Boys tend to have the littlest risk of biting/pinching, but you have to factor in they will fly as adults.

My advice with young children would be to always supervise and teach/reaffirm proper handling techniques. To be honest, I have found over the years I have more issue with letting adults hold my mantises than children because usually the kids will listen and be super gentle while I've had some adults try to do stupid things with my bugs like randomly poking them in the face...

I think kids and mantids are a fantastic mix! We keep small/medium species; a sub adult Chinese is the line for my kids, anything bigger and they’re uncomfortable. I’ve had some sassy spinys get feisty and the kids didn’t even feel it. My children are 5, 11, 11, and 13. We keep Ghost, Chinese, spinys, and orchids👍 We keep mantids together as a family so use your better judgement I.e. maturity level if you’re not gonna get hands on with them 

To be honest, I have found over the years I have more issue with letting adults hold my mantises than children because usually the kids will listen and be super gentle while I've had some adults try to do stupid things with my bugs like randomly poking them in the face...
So true! Kids are waaay easier to introduce to kids than adults 

Latest posts