You can take good care of your mantids but...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl82

Reaction score
You can't account for them being stupid. My Heirodula venosa finally had her adult moult today. Decided to do it 2 inches from the bottom of the cageĀ šŸ˜‘. Despite having a large mesh cage, with plenty of sticks etc. Always moulted from the top before.

When I got home from work found her on the bottom with just her hind legs still in the exuviae, they slipped out okay but I think she'd been too long in that position too long and hadn't pumped the fluid around her body. Right now she's trying to inflate her wings but I think it's too late. It's so frustrating. Well I'll ppst pics if she makes it.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I hope she's ok, but it doesn't sound like she is. šŸ˜ž

- MantisGirl13

I think sometimes in premolt they become lethargic and just can't make it back up.

I had a scare with my female illudens yesterday where she was on the bottom on all fours just leaning against her cup. Id removed foliage to ensure she had an easy molt.

Anyway, I got her back on her lid and she molted fine in just a couple hours.Ā 

I wonder if she would have tried to molt on the bottom otherwise? šŸ¤”

I had a gastrica female who did her last 2 molts hanging too low, i had to help her 2x to get her a good molt. holding her up in my hand do do her molt normally. if she had done them at night, she would have had a very missmolt and died way too soon.

Yes sadly, she didn't make it. It's really frustrating but random things can happen. I enjoyed keeping the species so I will have them again in the future, but not right now as I have a few other projects on the go.

Man thats tough. I noticed one of my idolos at the bottom of its cage hanging by one leg--thought it was a goner. It was super slow and sluggish, but I managed to coax it back to the top. Within 30 minutes it molted. Can only imagine what it would have done if I had not intervened...

Man thats tough. I noticed one of my idolos at the bottom of its cage hanging by one leg--thought it was a goner. It was super slow and sluggish, but I managed to coax it back to the top. Within 30 minutes it molted. Can only imagine what it would have done if I had not intervened...
Glad you saved it!

- MantisGirl13

Me too. It's since molted again, but I'm on eggshells whenever they get close to molting...pretty sure it has its adult molt coming up next...fingers crossed