Is she dying?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch65009

Reaction score
Hi there guys. I just noticed now, that for about 2-3, my mantis here hasn't been eating, and is also hanging her butt down and not using one of her legs. She seems a little weird, and just hasn't been like this before. She also usually loves eating, but she hasn't wanted to eat now for 3 days

(It won't let me insert a photo). 

What species is this, and what instar? If you send me a pic then I'll post it for you. My email's on my profile.

- MantisGirl13

IMG_20190627_130435.jpg

Here's the pic that you sent me.

- MantisGirl13

She is decently responsive. I'll touch her and shell move in a second or two. Her exact age is unknown to me cause I had her for only about half her life. She's been an adult for maybe, a month now. 

She could be getting ready to lay an ooth, or possibly eggbound. Has she laid yet? 

- MantisGirl13

Really?? From what I know, she hasn't been bread,or at least by me. What stage are they able to mate at though? Cause it might be possible she was bread before I got her. 

When or if she was bred will have no effect on if it when she lays an ooth. All females lay ooths, whether mated or not. A mantis must be adult to mate.

- MantisGirl13

What! Wow, I didn't know that. So if she is laying it now, would that make her act differently? And from what I know, shell die very soon after she lays it, correct?  Also, when she lays it, should I keep it in case? Or since she never mated, I should just get rid of it. 

If she is going to lay soon, then yes, she would be acting strange and possibly not eating. 

No, she won't die after laying the ooth, she could live for 6-8 months more and lay more infertile ooths during that time. 

No, no need to keep the ooth, it won't hatch.

- MantisGirl13

I'm so sorry. It's possible she was eggbound and that caused her death. She could have had a bad feeder, had a chemical in her cage, any number of things.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts