Catasigerpes sp. care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisfan101

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these guys? I've seen them for sale under the name of "South American boxer mantis" but I can't find any information about them in general at all. Information on care and breeding along with ootheca care is welcome. Thank you!

They require the same as the others, nice room temps and moisture, they are cute little bugs! Mist the ooth about every three days with unclorinated water.

Catasigerpes is actually a sub genus, so it is actually Oxypiloidea (Catasigerpes), and are a flower mantis (in the family Hymenopodidae)

They are also not from South America, South America does not have any flower mantises, they are from South Africa~

http://mantodea.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=1182535

I haven't kept these yet, but as far as I know they are a fairly small species. Their rang seem to over lap with Sibylla pretiosa and Oxypilus sp., so you can use those for a point of reference for care wise.

Thanks for the tip and also, does anyone know if they have similar characteristics with other typical boxer mantids(i.e. waving of enlarged raptorial forelegs to communicate with other members of the same species)?

This is also an interesting topic, because "boxer mantis" isn't really an actually category. Mantises which are commonly referred to as "boxer mantis" are: Oxypiloidea (catasigerpes), Otomantis, Acromantis, and the are all in the subfamily Acromantinae; at the same time, Astyliasula, Hestiasula, together with other members of the subfamily oxypilinae such as Ceratomantis and Pachymantis are also referred to as boxer mantises. Due to this, they used to be all be lumped in acromantinae.

In fact, many flower mantises actually wave their reportorial limbs for signalling, I've even seen Pseudocreobotra doing it in a video. Though it seems like members Oxypilinae and some members of acromantinae are more adapted in relying on this "arm waving behavior" for communication.

Feels like I've gone on a huge tangent... The closest relative to Catasigerpes that I've kept is Otomantis (same Tribe), and they do wave to communicate and for defense, so it is safe to assume Catasigerpes will do the same too. Though compared to members of Oxypilinae, they don't really wave that often.

Gotcha, and one last question, how big do adults get? I'd imagine that they stya rather small, probably around 1-1.25"?

That I’m not sure, but seeing them in pictures, I think that’s a reasonable estimate 👍🏼

Latest posts