Green male ghosts?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlobfishBoy

Reaction score
I've been curious about this for a while. Have any of you ever had or seen a green male ghost mantis in person. I know they're basically always brown, but as

you can see this reddit user posted a pic of a green male a while back, seemingly unaware that this is unusual. This made me wonder if anyone else has heard of or seen green males.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's very rare! I was told that the green only stays in the females. Hmm, wonder if he's fertile? If so, someone should comment on the post and tell him to breed that male with many females. Lol.

Many people would love to have a green male ghost! I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say! Very interesting!

Sadly that post was from 5 years ago so that male would’ve already passed by now. I hope that person bred it but who knows.

Can ghosts change from brown to green? I have 12 nymphs (L3) and they are all brown or golden. I kept 12 because I was hoping for a green one. 😀

My green female had a sort of green under-color under her brown from a few molts before adulthood but when she molted to adult she changed drastically and became rather green. Although she still has a little brown in her wings. 

View attachment 12440

Can ghosts change from brown to green? I have 12 nymphs (L3) and they are all brown or golden. I kept 12 because I was hoping for a green one. 😀
That happened with mine! Right before my eyes! It was a two day process. It was about a week and a couple days after she molted to L5 I believe. First day I noticed her crown was getting a little green and throughout the day she got a couple more green spots, very subtle though, then the next she went completely green! It blew me away. And on about day 4 of going green, she settled in on the type of green!

I breed ghosts. I have created a background and atmosphere that makes them go green. Or golden. Or olive.  YES some of my males have became green or olive  even tan/golden, or reddish orange brown. (My fav) Females tend to change colors easier. 

For a green or olive ghost lots of green plants in the aquarium with lots of very bright light shining in many directions during daytime hours , sand or-light colored earth. And making the top lid screen white will help your mantis babies go green golden or olive. Also i feed them light colored food as well. (Golden hydei/light colored houseflies and moths) All these things forces them to lighten up in order to camouflage and not be seen by there food. 

For a golden/tan orangy brown ghost. Make everything yellow and red in the cage. Even light should be the sun. And bright as possible through their life and light food fed too  

I currently have 1 golden male (L4)

1 olive male (L5)

1 auburn male (L4) 

2 olive females, 1 green female 1 sandy/khaki colored female (who will prob turn green or gold)

The rest are brown or near black. But will prob have light wings that are marbled dark browns and reds n gold. 

Heres some of my color varieties

3BBB9B6E-9275-4A61-8222-E17F91DB1CEC.jpeg

EB141107-2D91-48C5-8197-E65464D105EC.jpeg

BC7661CA-5BA5-4C19-9B31-4A96B1D69A50.jpeg

Latest posts