Hierodula transcaucasica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budwing

Reaction score
Im getting two wc hierodula transcaucasica ootheca. Iv read on here that they need an overwintering period. Do I keep them the same as tenedora sinensis ootheca ?. or is there any differences with them. Any info would be much appreciated.

Never heard of this species, where did u see them?
I saw them on Ebay. I never heard of them either. Id imagine their hardy as their wc from the Ukraine. I always thought Ukraine was cold but the more Im reading there isparts of the country where the weather is sub tropical. They are also native to Turkey and Afghanistan. Im trying to get suitable winter reports to find out how long to to overwinter them for, and at what temperatures. It would be nice to have a different species.

I'd be wary about buying from ebay. Don't expect a large hatch, if anything. Especially if they are wc.

- MantisGirl13

I'd be wary about buying from ebay. Don't expect a large hatch, if anything. Especially if they are wc.

- MantisGirl13
I know what your saying. Yeah I might end up with a hatch of parasitic wasps or dud's, It could happen  Ooths and mantis are hard to get here, then you pay through the nose for them. You would pay €20 to €35 for one L2 nymph depending on species. Even a small hatch for the price Im getting the oothecas for Im still better off.  I think when your buying ootheca your taking a chance no matter where you buy them from. So far iv been lucky enough. I was overrun with nymphs from the last ooths I bought, they were wc tenedoras. They nearly all hatched with 100 - 200 nymphs from some of them. Out of 12 ootheca 3 never hatched at all. I have a a flower mantis ootheca that didnt hatch and the parents were bred by myself, so it should have been fertile. For whatever reason it just never hatched. 

Latest posts