URGENT HELP NEEDED

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kp1029

Reaction score
My mantis has been eating crickets. We now have tons of tiny flies around the house that I've learned can come from the crickets. They could be fruit flys or phorid flys. I know my fiance is going to want to get rid of the mantis now and I dont want it to suffer outside. What do I do?! I'm on the east coast and nights here have been cold. I dont want flies in the house here either. Should we just release the mantis outdoors and let its life cycle end naturally? I'm heartbroken. How much longer will it survive outdoors? Is it going to suffer? It is an adult and would be dying soon naturally but it doesnt make it easier for me. I'm kind of mad that I brought it in as a pet now because i have a bond and I'm gonna be so upset seeing it go. Any and all recommendations are needed please!

Don't release! I suppose if it is native then it might be ok but it would surely die out since it will be super cold there soon.

Ask someone on the forum to take it in. Someone always takes mantids here. What kind of mantis is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't release! I suppose if it is native then it might be ok but it would surely die out since it will be super cold there soon.

Ask someone on the forum to take it in. Someone always takes mantids here. What kind of mantis is it?
It's a carolina mantis. We will try getting rid of the substrate and using a paper towel instead and only putting in crickets for feeding and see if it helps the issue first. Right now we usually always have at least one or 2 extra crickets at a time in there. 

Get a fly strip and hang it near the container, The flies are probably fruit flies and come from whatever you are feeding the crickets.

If mantis is young, and still going thru molts take cricket out when not eaten within 20 minutes.

Fight fire with fire. Set up a fruit fly trap and feed them to any baby mantids.