Mantis bite

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkyway

Reaction score
Equal parts impressed and sad haha my big girl nibbles on me frequently but she bit me twice today hard enough to draw blood. She hasn’t eaten in a few days, is that just a sign that she’s hungry? I’m just waiting on pupae to hatch any day now. I’m hoping that’s all it is because she usually loves me lol. Thoughts?

She might be thirsty and hungry. Usually when they nibble at the skin they're looking for any moisture that's on there. I guess once she realizes it's flesh, she'll try to eat it, lol. You can feed her moths or wild flies. Any wild bug is a risk though. The easiest mantis food I've kept is dubia roaches.

I have a female rainforest mantis that recently molted into adult-hood.

She refuses to eat which is approaching day three.  I fed her mango which she loves and usually always will nibble and consume a small strand.

Hope she decides to have a full meal soon. 

If you want a constant and cheap supply of food, I would highly suggest feeder roaches, either dubias or red runners. Lots of people for some reason are turned off because f the fact that they're roaches(which I personally find a bit odd) but once you give them a try you/ll understand why so many tarantula/invertebrate keepers use them. I have a tupperware bin of red runners and I never really go buy any feeders or mealworms unless my pets seem  a bit sick of roaches, which is a rare occurence.

Flies are the absolute cheapest feeder. Think of what it would cost to bye 500 crickets and keep alive for 2 weeks having to feed them and clean up after them each day. Plus they can eat on the mantis. 

Flies are the absolute cheapest feeder. Think of what it would cost to bye 500 crickets and keep alive for 2 weeks having to feed them and clean up after them each day. Plus they can eat on the mantis. 
Mealworms are pretty cheap too, since they are easy to breed and most mantids will eat them.

- MantisGirl13 

Last edited by a moderator: