Should I mate my Idolomantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaywo

Reaction score
This is Peter and he made it to adulthood but fell shortly after his molt. This all happened while I was sleeping. I nursed him back to health and he is pretty good now. However, he can't climb because he lost his hooks and his wings are messed up. He is healthy otherwise. He takes feeding from me and he moves around just fine, albeit on the ground only. 

Do you know if I should even attempt to mate him? He is my late adult male. I'm worried he will not be able to hold on.

IMG_5200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Peter and he made it to adulthood but fell shortly after his molt. This all happened while I was sleeping. I nursed him back to health and he is pretty good now. However, he can't climb because he lost his hooks and his wings are messed up. He is healthy otherwise. He takes feeding from me and he moves around just fine, albeit on the ground only. 

Do you know if I should even attempt to mate him? He is my late adult male. I'm worried he will not be able to hold on.

View attachment 12797
The dreaded flip, no doubt. How long did sub instar take?

It took, 4-5 days. AT least that is when he stopped eating. The other male passed. This is always the main issue. They have the most difficulty on their last molt. Where you able to get any too adulthood?

I am usually able to get them to adulthood but then have terrible luck mating.

I mean how long did it take from molt sub, to molt adult?

I have 3 sub males. my female looks sub AND presub, but ill say presub. Plus another presub male.

Still waiting.

I use the black rubber shelf liner for molting surface.

It took awhile. My subs females are going on week 4 and no swollen budwings. If I had to guess, I would say 5-6 weeks. Depends how much food they get and temp.

I mean how long did it take from molt sub, to molt adult?

I have 3 sub males. my female looks sub AND presub, but ill say presub. Plus another presub male.

Still waiting.

I use the black rubber shelf liner for molting surface.
I use the liner too! Didn't work. They are so clumsy. They hook on really well all the way until final molt.

The molting part itself isn't the problem, its the flip. They are so heavy hanging from the tip of their abdomen that they just slip out and fall. One thing i do to combat that is have them molt in a really narrow enclosure so as soon as they r out they have something(the wall) right in front of them to grip onto.

The molting part itself isn't the problem, its the flip. 
We are speaking about the flip. :)

One thing i do to combat that is have them molt in a really narrow enclosure so as soon as they r out they have something(the wall) right in front of them to grip onto.
This is a great idea. in IDOLOMANTIS CONSOLIDATED they talk about this, as well as safety nets to catch em if they fall. LOL!

This is my main concern with larger species: I'm so paranoid that my heterochaeta or pnigomanti will fall because the thin mesh in the cloth doesn't really allow any surface for them to grip onto. I sort of have an idea where you could maybe try gluing a bunch of sticks and interlocking them or maybe use some sort of plastic mesh with bigger holes, or maybe even just make a row of sticks on the top for them to hang onto, but this would introduce a whole bunch of problems on its own. As for the mating attempt, go for it! Just keep stuffing and distracting the female so she doesn't try to eat him.

Latest posts