How long does an adult male pnigomantis live

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisfan101

Reaction score
I ask because it seems like my subadults already have fattened wingbuds, and my females are still presub. I’ve kept them under a heat lamp and have tried to feed them as much as possible but they still won’t molt. 

Got it, time to cut down on feeding; would once every 3-4 says be ok for now?

Every 4 days. Keep them around 70-72 degrees. Make sure they get a good meal every feeding as you don’t want them to starve. On the other hand, feed females big meals every other day and keep them around 80 degrees.

I am not a fan of keeping them cooler and hungry unless you plan on breeding.
I feel bad when I see them hungry and they have nothing to live for other than waiting to mate. Which males only want to do, but they get hungry just like anything else. When feeding them you see them hungrily grab the food, that's not right to me. I feed them and hope they live long enough,  at the most the 2nd day they get food. I just had a male who was extra hungry, He ended up eating the female while should of been mating. I wont let them be that hungry again, I did not realize he had more hunger pangs than mating. He gets all he wants but not to excess. just my feelings, not to offend anyone.

On another insect note. I raised roaches for awhile, They were always hungry it seemed. I finally gave them to someone as I hated feeling bad that they were hungry all the tine. I fed them good, but asap their bowl was empty an I saw it I felt bad. I am to tender hearted so some things just are not worth the money so I stopped keeping them. I do miss them, and have considered keeping again, but I don't want to go to the sad feelings again, life is hard enough without me adding to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts