Brunner’s hatch time

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisfan101

Reaction score
The ooth was laid on 9/17/19, and it’s been about 5 months and no nymphs have hatched yet...could the eggs be possibly dead(dried up, molded, etc)?

A year, wow that’s a long time! And does it take a year for the first nymph to emerge or all of them at once?

Did you diapause your ooth? (This effects the duration until hatch)

Nymps emerge days, or weeks apart, they would not all hatch at once.

Diapause depends on species. Brunners can still hatch without it, but it will take significantly longer (aforementioned year or so).

We have 11 ooths, the first of which was laid around the same time as yours, which had a diapause, and has given us our first (hopefully of many!) nymphs. :)  

Diapause depends on species. Brunners can still hatch without it, but it will take significantly longer (aforementioned year or so).

We have 11 ooths, the first of which was laid around the same time as yours, which had a diapause, and has given us our first (hopefully of many!) nymphs. :)  
Good to know. I have always hatched with a diapause.

Good to know. I have always hatched with a diapause.
I remember reading about it here without diapause ... Yen maybe? We have one ooth we did not give diapause to, so we can see for ourselves!

Is it too soon to pull my BB out of diapause? It's been in there a few months now.
We did ours with 8 weeks. I've read people saying 2-3 months depending on who and where I read it. I want to experiment more with this on the next gen of ooths to see if it affects time between nymphs (which I haven't read about, but perhaps I've missed a discussion somewhere).

Hi, Thanks Tracy. Just had first B.borealis nymph attempt to hatch from your ooth. btw I like to use Loctite Fun-Tak Mounting Putty to affix ooth to stick instead of low temp hot glue. Patiently watching for more nymphs. . I normally don't have much luck with other's ooths. 

Should I put my ooth in diapause then, or at least a place with cooler temps? My garage stays around 60-50 degrees generally, or wpuld that be harmful for the eggs?

btw I like to use Loctite Fun-Tak Mounting Putty to affix ooth to stick instead of low temp hot glue.
Oh yeah, definitely. She was the first to outright refuse to lay on sticks of any kind and we didn't have any putty back then. 

After being at room temperature for a few months it could harm the eggs.
I was going to ask this, too. I thought that once they had already been in warmer temps for awhile, the cooler temps would harm an ooth.