Are pinhead crickets OK feeders for nymph orchid/flower mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzi

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of expanding the species in my mantid collection. I currently have an adult and a sub adult female Pyllocrania paradoxa. 

I am researching orchid and flower mantids, and wondering if anyone here knows if they can healthily live off a diet of crickets, particularly if nymphs can eat pinhead crickets as staple feeders.

Thank you!

I wouldn't  orchids in particular are more susceptible to bacterial infections and to add to that are kept slightly higher humidity. Crickets if self cultured from eggs or pinheads if they are kept healthy and clean can be used for drier mantid species. Also add crickets are agresive to weakened or molting mantids. I have used crickets for some species in the past but eventualy regret it. They are hard to keep clean and do not use larger crickets from pet stores many times they receive crickets with phorid flies.

Better choice feeder for orchids I use firebrats,fruit flies and redrunners roaches (redrunners if left can also attack mantid). Once orchids are L3 house flies and from L4 up I get them on blue bottles as soon as I can.one more great feeder for orchids are moths wax moths work fine.

Latest posts