Tips on Keeping Giant African Stick Mantises (Heterochaeta Orientalis)?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give them lots of space and keep them well- fed. Also, don't let their heat get too high. I made that mistake last summer and lost all ten of mine. I suggest keeping in a net cage.

- MantisGirl13 

Even though  the species is said to be for the advanced keeper, I find them easy to care for. Average room temperature and around 30-35% humidity is adequate. I wouldn't recommend humidity over 50%. They have a good range of temperature tolerance at 65°- 80°. My female stayed at about 68°- 72° all winter, but higher is good after feeding day. I've heard of people having mismolts using net cages, but I've been keeping my adults in one. One of the specimens somehow got his raptor snagged in the mesh, he lost it but otherwise seems fine. He chewed the raptor off AND chewed a hole large enough to stick a pencil through. I don't know if this is something that happens frequently. This has become one of my favorite species. Can't wait to mate them. 😊 Good luck! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Synapze,

I live in South Florida and the humidity stays around 40 - 45% without misting. Do I need to mist so that my Heterochaeta Orientalis can drink the droplets, or will he get enough water from his flies?

Thanks

Although mantids do get most of their water from prey, as @MantisGirl13 said, it's still a good idea to offer additional water.

Since the humidity in this region is almost the default for keeping many species, I only mist plants or glass in close proximity to the mantis and avoid spraying the substrate which would raise and retain humidity longer. I also give water droplets when I have them out for handling, or occasionally I mist the raptors which they will clean off almost immediately. When I offer droplets of water during handling time, I've never had one refuse. The amount of water they will drink can be surprising... or even ridiculous. 😀 This leads me to believe they need additional amounts. If they were in the wild they would be drinking from raindrops on the leaves as well as getting wet themselves. 

Bottom line... it can't hurt and I believe it is good for your mantis. 😊

@Synapze You mentioned offering your mantids water droplets during handling. I would like to try that. How exactly do you go about doing this? Do you just put a water droplet on your hand or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Synapze,

I live in South Florida and the humidity stays around 40 - 45% without misting. Do I need to mist so that my Heterochaeta Orientalis can drink the droplets, or will he get enough water from his flies?

Thanks
Humidity is somewhat irrelevant to most insects and arachnids(with exceptions of course) since they can't necessarily absorb moisture through the air, directly misting is the best choice