My mantises arrived!! + some questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owldoggo

Reaction score
AAA I’m so happy, both of them arrived alive and well! Both of them are also very energetic. Please excuse the potato photos, my phone camera isn’t the best at catching things this small!  4203CE97-7AD0-427B-AE88-0C6A915474DE.jpegFBA2F35A-5DA3-4D93-9079-D21F6F26154C.jpeg

I had 16 ounce modified mason jars as enclosures prepared for both when they arrived, but now I realize I overestimated their size. They’re so small!! So small, in fact, that I don’t know if I’m too comfortable with putting them in something so big compared to them. I heard that an enclosure for a mantis should be at least double the length in width and triple the length in height, but that it couldn’t be too big because then it gets hard for them to catch prey. Should I put them in the enclosures I prepared for them, or should I get something smaller? 
115AAB4B-154A-4053-93FE-985A186FA55E.jpeg

Also!! I don’t know whether to feed them right now or to wait a day or two. I’ve got melanogaster fruit flies on the ready but I don’t want to overfeed them— I’ve seen people have mantises die from that kind of stuff. I’ve heard that people feed them fruit flies every other day when they’re this size, but I just wanted to double check! 

And, finally, the most important one: what should I name them? I thought that Jekyll and Hyde would be nice, but I want to hear some suggestions!! 

Even small nymphs usually don't have trouble catching prey in a 32 oz cup, so 16 oz would work fine for now. Flies tend to come to the ventilation holes and most nymphs hang out there anyway.

I put a few flies in with them the day they arrive. I usually feed my young nymphs every other day. 

Frick and Frak. 😀 

Last edited by a moderator: