Determining Mantid Age

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzxmUyZNKEBoqN3e

Reaction score
I have 2 Violin Mantids whose ages I am fearing I may have got wrong - I hope I can provide enough information here for you experts to help out!

Case 1: Asgor (Female, presumed L8)

Asgor 1.jpg

Asgor 2.jpg

This is Asgor. From what I can see, she is huge - when she was at the same supposed instar as her housemate, she was significantly larger but not so much larger that it was blatantly obvious that she was not in fact the same age. She is a very good eater and is much braver than Tallulah. From what I can estimate, the length from the top of her head to the bottom of her abdomen would be about 5cm (~2in). She last moulted on the 29th of June.

Case 2: Tallulah (Female, presumed L7)

Tallulah.jpg

Tallulah seems to be a lot smaller and more timid than Asgor. She last moulted on the 21st of June and seems to be preparing for a moult now as she is much more stationary than usual and has not eaten in a few days. She is roughly 3.5 - 4cm (1.4 - 1.6in).

I've provided the full-size JPG's in an Imgur album here if these lack detail:

https://imgur.com/a/qiOrUrN

Finally, a question that I will add here as I don't want to flood the forums; do mantids have control over when they moult, or is it more similar to the feeling of nausea in a human (ie feeling a bit sick and running to the toilet in preparation)?

Thank you all! 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm primarily interested in ageing Asgor; I'd like to know if she's gonna get her wings soon! Plus, I'm due to be away this weekend so if it looks to you like she might be near a moult please do say 😁

Asgor is a presub or subadult male. Tallulah is probably L6, female.

- MantisGirl13 
A male? Crikey, what a shocker. I had asked the breeder to sex them and did just blindly believe him but looking again at his/her antennae, they do look awfully masculine. Well, at least the name will fit 😅 Thanks for replying!

@MantisGirl13 - Asgor moulted this morning into his subadult form. You were bang on the money, he is definitely a he (I'm quite pleased because I love the male antennae) and was a presub! Thanks again for your sage advice!

Latest posts