Christmas Plans

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiosity

Reaction score
Is there any chance my European mantises, which were born wild at a time I can't verify, could live until Christmas? One of my smaller dreams is to celebrate Christmas someday with a mantis that is still at least respirating. (I still have the bodies of last year's mantids, but they're not very good company.)

I have had mantises alive at Christmas and way past that even. My Chinese mantises that hatch in the spring usually make it to Christmas and even past Christmas. If you have some female mantises there is a decent chance a few will make it to Christmas and beyond depending on when they hatched of course. Female mantises live longer then males.

I don't really know how old they are. . . I have one European who's almost an adult, one who's half her size (1 1/4 inch), and a couple of slightly-less-than-an-inch-long nymphs I think might be Carolinas. Most of them are female. How would that fit into the math?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any chance my European mantises, which were born wild at a time I can't verify, could live until Christmas? One of my smaller dreams is to celebrate Christmas someday with a mantis that is still at least respirating. (I still have the bodies of last year's mantids, but they're not very good company.)
Females deffo. Males, naww.