Mantids and spiders

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas

Reaction score
So sometimes around here food becomes somewhat "scarce", besides a bunch of different types of spiders lingering around. I have fed some of them to a mantis of mine and I was wondering if this could have any potential adverse effects. She is a chainsaw at spiders and crickets alike so it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Spider species are false widows? House spiders, cellar spiders and various latrodectus spiders, as well as flower/garden spiders.

Mantis I have is an african mantis of some kind. dunno which one in specific 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend to not feed spiders. One bite and it's all over.
I get that, but this is an extremely aggressive species that eats/attacks anything that moves in her home (including me sometimes when I try to move things around!) 

Her forearms upon grabbing also usually just kill the bugs she catches straight up. Part of why I love aggressive mantids so much is that they could double as pest control for my house. 

Edit: Also, how exactly would that spider bite happen? I do not think I have ever seen a spider that wasn't in its web actually bite a mantis that grabbed it, especially if the mantis is noticeably larger. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts