2011 Texas and Arizona summer collecting experience

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend Chris has arrived last Saturday and we have done some collecting so far in Houston. We will be going to Arizona this Saturday for a week and hopefully travelling down to Texas border the following week. Part of Arizona and almost the entire Texas been hit badly by drought and heat this year so hopefully there will be any insect for me to upload here when the trip is over, If i survive the trip! :scooter:

Sorry i just got back from Arizona few days ago. Still working on the photos and continue collecting in Texas but will continue to post. The trip is predominantly for Chris who is after different ant species, so there will be plenty of ant photos in this thread. But I also take picture of other insects, including mantis, whenever i come across any.

I will start with some pictures before the Arizona trip, a visit to Jesse Jones Park in Humble, Texas.

Chris checking out one of the many mounds to Texas leaf cutter ant (Atta texana).

jjp01.jpg

The leaf cutter ants has several caste with different ant sizes, all busy working.

jjp02Attatexana.jpg

It is a huge colony, which is typical for an established Atta texana colony.

jjp04.jpg

An anole was spotting lurking in the bush

jjp03-anole.jpg

Spotted a nice Passiflora incense flower near a river bank.

jjp05-Passifloraincense.jpg

jjp06-Passifloraincense.jpg

There were two large Scoliid wasps (Campsomeris plumipes)

jjp07ScoliidWasp-Campsomerisplumipes.jpg

jjp08-ScoliidWasp-Campsomerisplumipes.jpg

Due to the extreme drought in Texas, the water level is quite low, exposing some broken tree trunks apparently chew down by beaver.

jjp10.jpg

jjp11a.jpg

it is sandy soil on river bank. Dorymyrmex sp. (Pyramid ants) apparently doing alright nesting near the river.

jjp09Pyramidants-Dorymyrmex.jpg

A male jumping spider (Thiodina sylvana) was spotted chasing down some insects, a good jumper!

jjp12.jpg

Chris is after something.... must be ants! Kenneth was there checking out what's cool.

jjp13.jpg

It was Dorymermex sp. ants trying to take down Sesbania clown weevil into the nest.

jjp14-DorymyrmexattackSesbaniaclownweevil.jpg

Ah.. no chance for the weevil i guess

jjp15-DorymyrmexattackSesbaniaclownweevil.jpg

A short clip for it

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/yen_saw2009/2011%20Christian%20Trip/Jesse%20Jones%20Park/?action=view&current=M4H08016.mp4

There were plenty of common shore tiger beetle (Cicindela repanda) around the river bank too.

jjp16-commonshoretigerbeetleCicindelarepanda.jpg

This one caught a bug.

jjp17-commonshoretigerbeetleCicindelarepanda.jpg

One of the many mating pairs

jjp18-commonshoretigerbeetleCicindelarepanda.jpg

I also found a red velvet ant too, which typically found on sandy soil.

jjp18a-velvetant.jpg

More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing Yen. I'll be spending more time examining local insects the next time I visit the river near my house. :)

How long are the Tiger Beetles?
About 10-12 mm.Visiting the Cypress swamp in the park, but it was completely dry.

jjp24.jpg

jjp25.jpg

jjp26.jpg

jjp27.jpg

jjp28.jpg

But we found some grass mantis (Thesprotia graminis) walking on the deck, all females.

jjp29.jpg

jjp30.jpg

jjp31.jpg

Short video clip of grass mantis

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/yen_saw2009/2011%20Christian%20Trip/Jesse%20Jones%20Park/?action=view&current=M4H08039.mp4

The dried up swamp allow us to flip rocks, and found a nice five-lined skink with blueish tail.

jjp32-Southeasternfive-linedskinkEumecesinexpectatus.jpg

To be continue.......

Last edited by a moderator: