A Few Creo Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiosity

Reaction score
Hi. This summer I plan to save up my money and buy a few creobroter gemmatus nymphs, which will be the first mantises I'll ever have had that I didn't find in my backyard. Somehow I managed to keep mantises for five years and still remain a complete novice.

Anyway, I had a couple of questions. One: At L3, is it possible to feed just houseflies? (The fly pupae are listed as cheaper than the fruit flies. . .) Two: It is possible to raise these things entirely in a 32 oz deli container, right? 

Thanks for any answers :) I realize I'm probably asking for basically confirmation of 2 + 2 = 4. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

Yes, at i3, Creobroter gemmatus should be able to tackle houseflies. They are on Drosophila hydei at i2 and switch to houseflies at i3 here

They can actually molt to adulthood just fine in a 24oz deli container, so yes, a 32oz is plenty big enough for the entire life-cycle! 

shameless plug here but I have been making and selling mini ff cultures for people with small collections, and am breeding houseflies now!

shameless plug here but I have been making and selling mini ff cultures for people with small collections, and am breeding houseflies now!
Shameless promotion of mantisguy here but get the mini cultures if you need them. Mine got smooshed in transit but they're very well put together (I also just have bad luck). Also keep an eye on your Creos. If they get the chance, they can and will book it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shameless promotion of mantisguy here but get the mini cultures if you need them. Mine got smooshed in transit but they're very well put together (I also just have bad luck). Also keep an eye on your Creos. If they get the chance, they can and will book it. 
yes, I think the smooshing was from the package being rotated. not much I can do, but I made the medium slightly stiffer so maybe that will help!