A recent find

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Some of you may know that I am an avid fossil hunter. The east coast provides a lot of opportunity for finding fossils. Earlier in January I found this American Mastodon tooth in a creek I frequent for fossils. A find like this is usually found by river divers. It is quite a rare find in general but even more so from this particular location. Thought some here might enjoy:

100_1835_zpsbc93902f.jpg

100_1845_zps7bb4ddee.jpg

Me consolidating the root with butvar (Polyvinyl butyral resin) to stabilize it:

100_0668_zps8ff386bf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an amazing find!!

What other fossils have you found? :D
Lots. Many species of shark. Whale, fish, inverts, mammals, etc.

Reminds me of searching for Trilobites with my Dad when I was a kid. We would go out to an eroded hillside in Malibu and dig, we mostly just found fossilized clams, but it was still so fun.

Reminds me of searching for Trilobites with my Dad when I was a kid. We would go out to an eroded hillside in Malibu and dig, we mostly just found fossilized clams, but it was still so fun.
Yep. Our strata here is much too young for Trilobites. Oldest we get here is Cretaceous.

Here is a 5" Megalodon shark tooth I found last year:

100_1419-1_zps742e6bc8.jpg

And here is a 5.5" one I found last month. First pic is how I first saw it in my gravel sifter and the second is when I pulled it out:

IMG_20130108_125347_zpsa1add8b9.jpg

IMG_20130108_125357_zps5962b838.jpg

Here in NY we have the Penn Dixie Fossil Park, where it was a prehistoric lake, where you can find trilobites and fool's gold very easily. It was a cool place to go to during a field trip.

Here in NY we have the Penn Dixie Fossil Park, where it was a prehistoric lake, where you can find trilobites and fool's gold very easily. It was a cool place to go to during a field trip.
I'm going to be up there this summer. Wife is from Buffalo area. I'm hoping to find a trilobite or something else we don't find around here.