adult mantis has been rejecting food, is it a sign of end of life?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaih0550

Enjoyer of all insects (except wasps)
Reaction score
my adult male ghost (phylocrania paradoxa) has been refusing to eat for about a little over a week now. he went through his final molt about a month ago. the last few days hes been struggling to walk on his own, its like hes twitchy or losing control of his limbs. he refuses to take prey, it doesnt matter if i leave it in his enclosure or if i hold it right in front of his face. ive tried all diferent sizes and hes refused everything. nothing has changed except for his final molt, the temp and humidity is the same as its always been and the prey is the same, is he getting old?

my adult male ghost (phylocrania paradoxa) has been refusing to eat for about a little over a week now. he went through his final molt about a month ago. the last few days hes been struggling to walk on his own, its like hes twitchy or losing control of his limbs. he refuses to take prey, it doesnt matter if i leave it in his enclosure or if i hold it right in front of his face. ive tried all diferent sizes and hes refused everything. nothing has changed except for his final molt, the temp and humidity is the same as its always been and the prey is the same, is he getting old?
Male Ghosts live about 6-8 months. Females have a longer life span, up to a year+. It's not that unusual for a male ghost to refuse food. I've had some that rarely ate.

Unfortunately, he probably is getting old. I'd keep trying to feed him every few days and try not handle or disturb him. He may have more miles to go. 🤞😊

Keep us posted.

Male Ghosts live about 6-8 months. Females have a longer life span, up to a year+. It's not that unusual for a male ghost to refuse food. I've had some that rarely ate.

Unfortunately, he probably is getting old. I'd keep trying to feed him every few days and try not handle or disturb him. He may have more miles to go. 🤞😊

Keep us posted.
thank you for the info, i cleaned his contianer today but ive otherwise left him alone. hes starting to actually smack the food away, ill give it a few days and try again

Keep us posted.
what?
male ghosts live like 5 weeks after the final molt, if that
6-8 months from hatching, sure
the males don't eat much in this species either

what?
male ghosts live like 5 weeks after the final molt, if that
6-8 months from hatching, sure
the males don't eat much in this species either
I've had male ghosts live up to a year, but I don't think that's typical for most males.

Please correct me if I'm off base.

update: hes still refusing food and the twitching has gotten worse, now he shakes for seemingly no reason. i noticed today that he looks odd and his eyes are cloudy, i think hes getting ready to pass. is there anything i can do to make him comfortable in addition to not disturbing him?

is there anything i can do to make him comfortable in addition to not disturbing him?
I would keep his enclosure in the recommended temp/humidity levels. Perhaps offer water if he'll take it. I can't think of anything else you can do to help. 😕

Does he still hang?

I would keep his enclosure in the recommended temp/humidity levels. Perhaps offer water if he'll take it. I can't think of anything else you can do to help. 😕

Does he still hang?
hes kind of hanging, hes standing sideways on a stick near the top of his enclosure. i gave him water and he shook and spread out his arms at me, i dont think he appreciated it.
ill put a rag at the bottom of his enclosure so if he falls he'll have something soft to land on.

hes kind of hanging, hes standing sideways on a stick near the top of his enclosure. i gave him water and he shook and spread out his arms at me, i dont think he appreciated it.
ill put a rag at the bottom of his enclosure so if he falls he'll have something soft to land on.
Adult males rarely eat, and they usually live only a few short months (if that) as an adult. They may eat once or twice, and that’s it.
The shaking and twitching sound very unusual. Have a picture?
What have you been feeding him?
What temp/humidity are you keeping him?

update: hes still refusing food and the twitching has gotten worse, now he shakes for seemingly no reason. i noticed today that he looks odd and his eyes are cloudy, i think hes getting ready to pass. is there anything i can do to make him comfortable in addition to not disturbing him?
If they close to dying they mostly still like to drink, If he resfuses that, then he is going to mantis heaven, They slowly fade away, that is my experience with my mantids

If they close to dying they mostly still like to drink, If he resfuses that, then he is going to mantis heaven, They slowly fade away, that is my experience with my mantids
mine generally just drop dead, but I also keep mine fairly warm and that speeds up all metabolic processes, including my favorite one: death /j

mine generally just drop dead, but I also keep mine fairly warm and that speeds up all metabolic processes, including my favorite one: death /j
I have only mantids that I can keep on room temperature, Think slowly fading away is not a bad dead