aggressive female Ghost mantis won't mate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystymantis

Reaction score
So I have a female Ghost mantis that I am trying to breed. She laid an infertile ootheca a few days ago, which might be why she is so aggressive? She hasn't bred yet. But I set her up in a 3 gallon tank with coconut fiber substrate, a heater and lots of sticks. The temperature is 26-28 Celsius. And humidity upper 50s to 60s. I have fed her several times so she isn't hungry and there is always prey in the tank.

I put a male in there and every time he jumps on her, like 3 times now, she freaks out and starts crawling around frantically until he jumps off.  I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can't get them to mate. What am I doing wrong? Is my female just overly aggressive or not want to mate at this time?  I have seen her calling several times now but she just doesn't seem to let the male on. I have taken the male out for now since he is having no luck. And will try again in a day or so.

Do I just need to let the male stay in there until they get the job done? But as far as I know the conditions should be just perfect for breeding. Unless I am missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes she is eating good. She ate a nice big moth last night. And has eaten several roaches.  I hope she can calm down and not freak out though! she is the only female I have! She should be used to the temperatures, she has been in there for 5 days now.

I must have the worst luck.... I put the male in yesterday and finally this morning he got on her and she didn't freak out too much, just a little. But then I check on them and guess what! She is laying an egg case! And I didn't see them connect ever.. at least I don't think so. If they did connect it was like for only a minute but I don't think they ever did. And that wouldn't be long enough to fertilize right? Because normally mantises mate for quite a while, well or at least stay on each other for a while...

Strike two for infertile egg cases. Now I must get the male out of there so she doesn't eat him.

So the male never dismounted and I didn't try to remove him from her. Amazingly he stayed on her the whole time she laid the ootheca. Of course I have been watching them very carefully for any signs of aggression which then I will remove him. So far she has been fine with him riding her. But he has been on her all day and night and still not managed to connect. Does it normally take this long for males to connect in Ghost mantises? I haven't ever bred them before so I don't know if this is normal or not. Is it possible her wings are in the way? He has tried to curl his abdomen to connect and was on her wing instead!

Male ghosts usually connect within a few hours of mounting if they are going to do anything. If he dismounts, remove him right away and wait a few days. 

- MantisGirl13 

Still no connection.... but he is still riding on her. Maybe he is old? though he turned into an adult in early May so he should still be good?

Yeah I might try and remove him if he  doesn't do anything soon. And yes I will get him out of there if he dismounts himself. Thanks for the advice @MantisGirl13

Latest posts