Allergies to mantis frass?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me.

Are you having problems with allergies?

I have heard that roaches can possibly cause allergies of a sort, so if you have feeder roaches that could possibly cause allergies. Though I think it is the roaches frass that causes the allergies not the roaches themselves.

Thanks for responding.

I'm not sure if im picking up an allergy to frass. I too have heard that roaches can trigger respiratory-based allergies.  I have only limited exposure to dubias as i've received some only once (I still have one large, and two very small ones left, and other than to throw them some lettuce or cucumber, or clean their tub, they live under a shelf in the dark all alone)

I do keep store-bought crix but barely use them.

I wonder if my routine of keeping my 4oz nymph cups and 32oz deli cups lined with round cotton pads could have something to do with my symptoms? They collect up the frass. With almost 30 mantises, I'm switching some of these out every evening.

I have a wicked sinus cold these days, so I can't say much about the sniffles etc, that are extraordinarily bad. It's my eyes that are weirding me out. I've had something that feels like pink eye, migrating from one eye, to the other, clear up, only to come again. That has been going on from before this cold. The thing is I know pink eye, and this isn't it. It's more reminiscent of how I feel in the spring, when tree pollen is around. Except it's much more potent. And, it seems to come on in the evenings after work, while i'm tending to my collection.

Just wondering if mantis allergies are a thing.

Aren't mantids close in relation to roaches and termites - Dictyoptera?

Maybe it's a thing?

Although, mantids aren't communal like roaches and termites.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, today ive avoided mantises (after work) other than a quick spray into each cup through the screens.

Eyes are buggin'. Maybe it's the guinea pig's Timothy Hay?

Grrrr.

I am highly allergic to roaches, and since mantis is closely related to roach i can develop allergy reaction by touching mantis too. There is one person I know quit mantis because of this issue. Unfortunately, allergy to mantis can also be developed over extended period of time from the close contact. Happened to entomologist working on mantis too. If you want to be sure, get a allergy test, that's how I found out. This is not saying there is any issue with your health, just mean that your body is sensitive to certain allergen, and in this case it is anything related to mantis.

Thank you @yen_saw. Pleasure to be able to communicate with you on anything, as you are one of the pillars in the US hobby!  😁

I will certainly get such a test. For now, I'll try to mitigate potential problems through the hygiene of my mantis keeping, and by eliminating the use of that steam-type humidifier (or at least disinfect it / keep it cleaner).

As I mentioned, I really feel it in my eyes only. Im not experiencing respiratory problems.

I thank you for sharing your experience on this. 🙏

That is sad that the person had to quit mantis keeping because of this. Glad I have no allergies of my mantids or feeders.
I'd just wear a mask! 🤣

By what I've read, these kinds of allergies are respiratory in nature, and associated with frass. If I was having the asthma-like symptoms people suffer along with these allergies, i'd be very concerned. But it's just my eyes bugging out! 😛 So, i'll hold out hope!

Thank you @yen_saw. Pleasure to be able to communicate with you on anything, as you are one of the pillars in the US hobby!  😁

I will certainly get such a test. For now, I'll try to mitigate potential problems through the hygiene of my mantis keeping, and by eliminating the use of that steam-type humidifier (or at least disinfect it / keep it cleaner).

As I mentioned, I really feel it in my eyes only. Im not experiencing respiratory problems.

I thank you for sharing your experience on this. 🙏
Thanks Hysteresis for the compliment i'm definitely not that important in this hobby you are too kind. Besides i'm not as active or involve since 2013.

Hopefully you are not allergy to mantis and it was something easy to deal with. Most doctor will just suggest taking over the counter allergy medicine if the symptom is not serious. I wear mask and gloves in my bug room especially when feeding roaches. But strangely my allergy reaction has dwindled recently and i no longer have rashes or respiratory issue, probably since i no longer keeping roaches.

Thanks Hysteresis for the compliment i'm definitely not that important in this hobby you are too kind. Besides i'm not as active or involve since 2013.

Of course you are! You have played a large part in getting the mantis hobby to grow as much as it has! 

- MantisGirl13
Everyone knows of Yen. 😁

People I deal with have dealt with you. One degree of separation. My ghosts, venosa, megaera, or spinys may have come from you via Cameron. I dont know.

You're everywhere.

Hopefully you are not allergy to mantis and it was something easy to deal with. Most doctor will just suggest taking over the counter allergy medicine if the symptom is not serious. 
I picked up eye drops with antihistamine. Funny, my symptoms flared up at the office today. I work in an engineering office, so no bugs at all, other than ff from the garbages in the kitchen. LOL!

Maybe it's coincidental, or maybe its mold from that steam humidifier. Maybe it's the hay in my kids' guinea pig cage (although we've had them since Christmas, and other than direct exposure when refilling their hay, nothing). 

Either way, that humidifier is offline until I sanitize it fully.

Ive been home for a couple of hours, sprayed down all of my cups, and I'm  still symptom free. 👍

Big up yen saw,    I thought I was getting a skin irritation I felt itchy and red and I wondered if the Coco Coir fibre was getting to me when misting it down so I made sure to hoover regularly and keep up the hygiene but after reading what you've said it did correspond with me starting to use roaches rather than hoppers and other things but as you say it could be any number of things. It seemed to go away lately, I wondered if a Carbon filter in the Mantid room would help. It would be a shame for anybody to have to give up due to this